Error - Data Source is empty!

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

avenki77
Participant

Error - Data Source is empty!

Post by avenki77 »

I am trying to do "View Data" from a sequential file stage and it tells me an error saying Data Source is empty. But actually the data file is having data.

Does anyone had the same problem before?

Thanks
Venkatesh
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Data source empty is not an "error". If your metadata is bad, then DS may have trouble parsing the file and because your metadata says throw away any bad rows, you end up with an "empty" file, which just means none of the rows were usable.

Here's a good suggestion: Take your sequential source file and do a "head -n10 yourfile> smaller_yourfile" and use that in your Sequential stage. Experiment with the metadata until you figure out what's wrong with your metadata. You could have a wrong delimiter, quote characters, column definitions, etc. Once that's able to view data, then switch back to the big file.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
oanielsen
Participant

Post by oanielsen »

Whenever I see that happen, it is usually a filepath issue. Are you sure the path is set correctly in flat file stage? By default the stage will keep the link name and write the file to the project directory.

/usr/opt/uv/DataStage/projectname/linkname
avenki77
Participant

Post by avenki77 »

Kenneth

I tried your way. The metadata looks fine only. It is a fixed-width file and the "Incomplete-Column" was "Error" and I changed it to "Replace". It works fine now.

Thanks