Copying job parameters

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Copying job parameters

Post by PhilHibbs »

Is there a way of copying a load of parameters from one job to another? Personally, I would export the jobs as XML and copy and paste the appropriate sections, but my colleague is not entirely confident with that approach.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

Quickest way is make a shared container somewhere in source job and copy it in target job.
s_boyapati
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Copying job parameters

Post by s_boyapati »

PhilHibbs wrote:Is there a way of copying a load of parameters from one job to another? Personally, I would export the jobs as XML and copy and paste the appropriate sections, but my colleague is not entirely confident with that approach.

If you know how Datastage writes DSX files, you can copy and paste relavent sections and import as new job etc... Other wise your job will end-up with UV database with wrong entries and causes serious problem.
Last edited by s_boyapati on Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Sure, look at Parameter Manager offered by this forums owners, or even use the hack job I wrote at my website. There's lots of utilities available but not from Ascential.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

kcbland wrote:...or even use the hack job I wrote at my website.
Where would I find this "hack job"?
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
s_boyapati
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by s_boyapati »

PhilHibbs wrote:
kcbland wrote:...or even use the hack job I wrote at my website.
Where would I find this "hack job"?
You better consider parameter manager tool. As per Ascential, there is no plan to provide in next few releases that kind of functionality. Proabably you will have ROI.
lebos
Participant

Post by lebos »

In your source job, delete everything except the parameters and "Save As" "ParameterTemplate" or some other name of your choice.

Copy ParameterTemplate to TargetJobInitial.

Open both your target job and TargetJobInitial.

In your target job do a "Select All" and a "Copy".

In TargetJobInitial, do a "Paste" and save as you new target job. Or save, copy, rename, etc.

Not very sophisticated, but it works.

Larry
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Maybe a simpler mechanism is to define your entire non-parameterised job as a shared container (as already mentioned above) and paste it into a copy of the parameterised job and un-construct the container.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

At sites where I am the team leader, we use job templates as much as possible. Almost the first things set up are jobs containing the full set of standard parameters. Any job created from such a template can delete any parameters it does not actually require.

This method has the additional advantage that parameters are always defined in the same way using the same name, same prompt text, same type and same help text.

Parameter Manager for DataStage is also a good tool, particularly if you need to retrofit parameters into jobs.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.