Surrogate Key Generation

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

venkatrranga
Participant

Surrogate Key Generation

Post by venkatrranga »

Hi,

We are planning to migrate 100+ tables in incremental mode. Out of which 25 of them are Fact and Rest of them are dimension tables. I am trying to come up with optimal mechanisam to produce Surrogate Key.

Is there any out of the box solution available from Ascential (like Oracle Sequences ) or Do I have to design my self a Surrogate Key table for each Extract I develop.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Regards
Venkat Ranga
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Yes, there is an out of the box solution of sorts. In DataStage Manager have a look at the Routines - sdk - KeyMgt folder for two examples of routines that manage surrogate key numbering. KeyMgtGetNextValue is for generating keys for a sequential load while KeyMgtGetNextValueConcurrent is for multiple instance or parallel loads.

The routines have comments in them to explain how they work.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There's nothing to stop you using database sequences or SERIAL data types when loading the dimension tables.

Whatever mechanism you use to load the dimension tables, you will need to build a "reverse lookup" mechanism when loading the fact tables, because you will need to map the "business keys" encountered in the data you are loading to the surrogate keys you have used in the dimension tables. Hashed files are ideal for this purpose.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
peternolan9
Participant

Re: Surrogate Key Generation

Post by peternolan9 »

venkatrranga wrote:Hi,

We are planning to migrate 100+ tables in incremental mode. Out of which 25 of them are Fact and Rest of them are dimension tables. I am trying to come up with optimal mechanisam to produce Surrogate Key.

Is there any out of the box solution available from Ascential (like Oracle Sequences ) or Do I have to design my self a Surrogate Key table for each Extract I develop.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Regards
Venkat Ranga
Venkat,
please be aware that the one out of the box is very slow and suffers from locking problems as it updates the hash table for each key it fetches. We got some code to update 1000 keys at a time...I do not believe the code is in the public domain....
Best Regards
Peter Nolan
www.peternolan.com