New project, copy installed stages

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

New project, copy installed stages

Post by PhilHibbs »

I am restoring from a backup into a new project due to some corruption, and the new project doesn't have the SAP pack installed. Is there a simple way to copy the installed stages from the old project, or do I have to dig out the CDs again?

== Update ==

I have created a package with the components and imported it into the new project. Seems odd that you can create the package in DS Manager, but have to use the AIX command line to import it.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
ogmios
Participant

Re: New project, copy installed stages

Post by ogmios »

You can export stages from within DataStage Manager (if you can still access the project via that) and import them in the new project.

Or using the cd's of course.

Ogmios
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: New project, copy installed stages

Post by PhilHibbs »

ogmios wrote:You can export stages from within DataStage Manager ... and import them in the new project.
Can you import them using DS Manager, or do you have to use the server shell?
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Use Datastage manager then import ..

Thanks
Man
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You have to use the command line to do the 'import' if, as the OP had done, you've created a package using the Packaging Wizard. This was (back in the day) how one had to migrate all released jobs - package them, ftp them to the target server and then run the dspackinst command like utility. Even better, dspackinst had to be executed by 'root' and may still need to be for all I know.

You may be able to install packages from the GUI in 7.5 now, I don't recall. :? I stopped releasing and packaging jobs when Version Control came on to the scene.

On the topic of using export/import to copy stages, I personally wouldn't do it that way. In my opinion, you are better off rerunning your server installation and letting the 'maintenance mode' of the server install script handle it. That way you can get the missing stages installed into all projects at once and you would also get them into the default project 'template' as well as an added bonus. That way, when you 'add' a new project on this server, the missing stages will not suddenly be missing again. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

mandyli wrote:Use Datastage manager then import ..
The Export/Packager Wizard creates a package on the server, but the Import menu doesn't have an option to read that file (I'm using 7.0.1)
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
lgharis
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by lgharis »

The dspackinst can be executed by the administrator id in 7.5. I do not know of a way to execute it via the GUI. The Plug-In Installation and Configuration Guide makes no mention of such an option.

L. Gharis
Leroy Gharis

Dallas, TX
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's how it is. There is NO package installer GUI if your server is UNIX.

DataStage Packages must be installed on the server machine. If your server is a Windows O/S, then there is a GUI, but if it's UNIX there isn't.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.