Description of DataStage Errors

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

akrzy
Participant

Description of DataStage Errors

Post by akrzy »

Hi,
I'd like to ask you about description of DataStage errors.
What kind of errors could be appear, and the list of errors numbers and their characteristic.

Thanks for help.
I couldn't find any informations about typical errors.

Anka
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Are you talking about runtime errors or compilation errors or designtime errors? Your question is too broad. Runtime errors are limited to either design errors (filename is wrong, file format is invalid, sql doesn't work, etc) or DS bugs. The list of design errors is nearly infinite. The list of compilation errors is also nearly infinite, as how many ways can you mess up a job design with unmapped derivations, unentered stage configuration fields, etc. Designtime errors usually have immediate pop-up windows to tell you that you haven't correctly entered a configuration or constraint or derivation.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
akrzy
Participant

Post by akrzy »

For example I was talking about :

"Error calling subroutine: DSR_IMPORT (Action=3); check DataStage is set up correctly in project test (The connection is broken (81002))"

About description of this number: 81002.

Anka
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

If I was to guess, you had a timeout kick.

Basically, in DataStage, by default, you have to be active on your client program once every 3600 seconds (30 minutes). If you idle for longer than that, the server will kill your connection.

Unfortunately, the client is not intelligent enough at this time to detect that, and would whine about not being able to connect - "The connection is broken (81002)".

I would suggest that you adjust the timeout period within Administrator to a more comfortable time period (some clients do 90 minutes, some clients like 24 hours. Values must be provided in seconds).

As for finding out all error code numbers, that is most likely internal information within Ascential, and not available for public consumption.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is a table in DataStage called SYS.MESSAGE, in which many (but not all) of the error codes exist.
This uses six-digit keys, so to find 81002 your query would need to add a leading zero, and use a character string.

Code: Select all

SELECT * FROM SYS.MESSAGE WHERE @ID = '081002';
The best other sources of error codes are the InterCall Developer's Guide (InterCall is the underlying architecture for DataStage client connectivity) and the file JOBCONTROL.H (particularly the constants whose names begin with "DSJE.").
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
akrzy
Participant

Post by akrzy »

Thanks Ray,
You are very helpful like always.

Regards,
Anka
madhavgp
Participant

Post by madhavgp »

Hello Ray,
Where does this sys.message table exist. Where do you enter this select statement.

Thanks and regards,
Madhav
ketfos
Participant

Post by ketfos »

Hi,
You can enter select statement in Datastage Adm window.

Ketfos