Upgrading Ascential datastage 6.0 to 7.5

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bapajju
Participant

Upgrading Ascential datastage 6.0 to 7.5

Post by bapajju »

We are planning to move from datastage6.0 to datastage7.5.Could you please let me know where to find the relevant documents that specifies the Issues/Challenges/precaustions and the Process for Upgrading from datastage6.0 to datastage7.5. Even if one comprehensive white paper will also do.

Thanks in advance
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't think you are going to find a 'comprehensive white paper' on the subject other than the Upgrade Guide that ships with the product. However, you also have this forum, so...

The upgrade itself is rather straight-forward and is (generally) very painless. You have a couple of choices:

Primary method is to upgrade in place. If you are upgrading an existing server, then simply pop in the 7.5 cdrom and go. Both the server install and any existing projects will be automatically upgraded to the new version.

If you are moving to a new server at the same time, you can also just import your 6.0 jobs into your new 7.5 installation. They will be upgraded automatically at the end of the import. Some people go to the extra pain of exporting their old jobs, uninstalling the old version, installing the new version and then doing the same import mentioned above. I personally don't see much of a reason to do it that way.

If you go this route, make sure that you install all of the optional plugins that you are using. It will save you some troubleshooting headaches and having to go back and rerun the install.

In any case, have good backups before you start. This can be system level backups of the server itself but should also be full exports from each project.

As to the problems you may encounter with 7.5, there's been a few posts here on the subject that a search should turn up. The biggest one for HP/UX users is a patch you'll need from Ascential to allow the Notification Activity stage to work for all users. Others have posted issues as well, but no show stoppers that I recall.
Last edited by chulett on Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Here are some posts I found:

Bugs for Version 7.x Warning, goes a little off topic. :wink:
DataStage Upgrade from 5.1 to 7.5 Possible PX problems?

I thought I would find more, but perhaps my search Kung-Fu is not strong today. :? Anyway, don't hesistate to post back if you have more questions or concerns!

Oh, and don't forget to read through the Upgrade Guide pdf. I seem to remember something about routines and the passing of parameters by reference versus value... can cause problems if you change the value of a parameter in the routine... something like that from around that time. :? Any 'gotchas' like that should be in the Guide.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

One other thing --

Datasets are not portable. Do not rely on Datasets working when you upgrade.
Last edited by T42 on Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
bapajju
Participant

Post by bapajju »

Appreciate you kind reply. It's really helpful to us.
We would definitely keep in mind the points suggested by you. I would like to request the forum to share their learning experience on this topic so that we are well equiped while doing the Upgradation.

Thanks
Bapajju
chulett wrote:I don't think you are going to find a 'comprehensive white paper' on the subject other than the Upgrade Guide that ships with the product. However, you also have this forum, so...

The upgrade itself is rather straight-forward and is (generally) very painless. You have a couple of choices:

Primary method is to upgrade in place. If you are upgrading an existing server, then simply pop in the 7.5 cdrom and go. Both the server install and any existing projects will be automatically upgraded to the new version.

If you are moving to a new server at the same time, you can also just import your 6.0 jobs into your new 7.5 installation. They will be upgraded automatically at the end of the import. Some people go to the extra pain of exporting their old jobs, uninstalling the old version, installing the new version and then doing the same import mentioned above. I personally don't see much of a reason to do it that way.

If you go this route, make sure that you install all of the optional plugins that you are using. It will save you some troubleshooting headaches and having to go back and rerun the install.

In any case, have good backups before you start. This can be system level backups of the server itself but should also be full exports from each project.

As to the problems you may encounter with 7.5, there's been a few posts here on the subject that a search should turn up. The biggest one for HP/UX users is a patch you'll need from Ascential to allow the Notification Activity stage to work for all users. Others have posted issues as well, but no show stoppers that I recall.