OCI9 fails to Initialize

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Turkbear
Participant

OCI9 fails to Initialize

Post by Turkbear »

Hi all,
Even though my dsenv contains all the needed environment variables and I have added the Oracle libs to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the Projects
Environment Variables tab and my Oracle client works fine from the command line, the following Odd behavior exists:

When attempting to Import a Plug-In table defination, the 'Unable to Initialize Plug-In' message appears.

Whe running a job that uses the Plug_In, however, the job runs fine!
If I try, in designer, to view the data in the OCI-referenced table, I get the
following:

ds_loadlibrary: error in dlopen of oraoci9.so - libclntsh.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

But..if I validate the job, the env variables section says:
Environment variable settings:
DSHOME=/ds/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine
CONSOLE=/dev/console
TERM=
SHELL=/bin/bash
USER=dsadm
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/ds/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/../branded_odbc/lib:/ds/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/lib:/ds/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/uvdlls:/ds/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/java/jre/lib/i386/client:/ds/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/java/jre/lib/i386::/usr/lib:.:/ds/Ascential/DataStage/branded_odbc/lib:/eo/OraHome1/lib
INIT_VERSION=sysvinit-2.85
APT_ORCHHOME=
PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:.:/eo/OraHome1/bin
runlevel=3
RUNLEVEL=3
PWD=/ds/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
previous=N
PREVLEVEL=N
SHLVL=4
HOME=/home/dsadm
ODBCINI=/ds/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/.odbc.ini
UDTHOME=/ds/Ascential/DataStage/ud41
UDTBIN=/ds/Ascential/DataStage/ud41/bin
LOGNAME=dsadm
DS_USERNO=-5728
WHO=prod75
BELL=^G
FLAVOR=-1
DS_ENABLE_RESERVED_CHAR_CONVERT=0
DS_TDM_PIPE_OPEN_TIMEOUT=720
DS_TDM_TRACE_SUBROUTINE_CALLS=0
TNS_ADMIN=/eo/OraHome1/network/admin
ORACLE_HOME=/eo/OraHome1

And, the Job runs just fine..

It appears that the Director 'knows' about the varibles but somehow Designer does not.

Tech support is working to resolve this, but if any of you have ideas, please post.

Its very confusing..

John G
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

John G,

The only time I've run into this message was when I didn't have the Oracle environment right. Admittedly this was on HP-UX, not Linux. I['m on v7.1.0 right now and it likes the 32 bit Oracle directory to be before the other (64-bit?). I don't know if 7.5 likes the 64 bit drivers or not. Maybe it's an issue of the directory order in the various paths.

Good Luck,
Tony
Turkbear
Participant

Post by Turkbear »

Thanks for the speedy posting and
that would be the logical conclusion ( Linux on Intel uses the 32 bit libs, in $ORACLE_HOME/lib )..However the tool , as I noted, should 'know' about the libs..One tool ( Director) works fine with the ORAOCI9 plugin as a target, but Designer fails to initialize the same plug-in and it cannot be used to view data.

Thanks again..
denzilsyb
Participant

Post by denzilsyb »

hallo Turkbear

Can you tell me if this has been resolved yet?

Can you also tell me what issues if any you have had on RH with DS

Just a reminder - DS is a 32bit application, regardless of the OS. On solaris we had to specifcallly use 32bit libs.

thanks
dnzl
"what the thinker thinks, the prover proves" - Robert Anton Wilson
Turkbear
Participant

DS on RH

Post by Turkbear »

Hi,Sorry for the long span betwen messages, but when things are working, you forget ..

Somehow, by resetting the Environment variables in the Job Propertiees ( which I thouight I had done before) all went well..

As to RH v Solaris, the performance has been at least as good ( and in some cases better), but the 7.5 version may be the reason as well..