moving image files (.Tiff, .jpg, .gif etc) with DataStage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

danjm
Participant

moving image files (.Tiff, .jpg, .gif etc) with DataStage

Post by danjm »

Is it possible to move image/graphic files from one source to another using DataStage? We have a requirement to move signature files from one place to another during a conversion project. The target is a SQLServer data field of type 'image'. The developers cannot find anyting specific in the DS documentation and they are wondering if this can be done or if they will be required to do this by another method.

The following "conversation" is all the info I have at the moment:
-- start of conversation --
Dan says:
Corey, can you give me a specific example of what you are attempting to move in terms of 'graphic' files and from where to where?? I'm posting a new thread on DSX.
Corey says:
The table we will ultimately move into is in CONV_ATOMS_TARGET.AITEmployeeSignature
Corey says:
The field is an image datatype (field name = SignatureSourceFile).
Corey says:
We don't have any images yet to load.
Corey says:
However, as a fallback I've been doing my own research/testing outside of datastage
Corey says:
I've setup a table in CONV_ATOMS_WORKING called test_image with a column called image_src (also image datatype).
Corey says:
I can move binary data into the table with a SQL command prompt utility called TextCopy
Corey says:
I've tested it successfully
Dan says:
ok.. I'll post it and let you know if they need more info or what feedback I receive...
Corey says:
thanks!
-- end of conversation --

*** Any assistance, advice or experience would be appreciated, folks. Thanks. ***
Dan Marshall
Alberta Education
Edmonton, AB
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

DataStage is not for moving binary data. Think about it, a single row of data could contain many KB or even MB. The data movement rate would be horrendous even if you could simply stream from ODBC connection to ODBC connection. There are tools for doing this, and they're not ETL tools. Ascential used to have a specific tool for audio and video, called media360, but they no longer sell it.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
danjm
Participant

Post by danjm »

Ok, Kenneth, thanks for the response. We'll handle the graphics files seperately.
Dan Marshall
Alberta Education
Edmonton, AB
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Consider using a token, like a fully qualified filename, to "move" the data around. By not incuring the overhead of juggling the file, you can manipulate information easily, leaving the large (blobs, clobs, etc) sitting in their native format. During the final load into the target, use the native loader to link in that file and store it in the database. Basically, have the image filename and the image file itself as two different columns of data.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle