backup of DataStage project

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

akrzy
Participant

backup of DataStage project

Post by akrzy »

Hi,
Could you tell me what is the best prtactice of making the DataStage project backup?
I don't know what the best way is, maybe exporting jobs or maybe coping all directory.
I don't have any experiece so please give me an advise.

Regards,
Anka
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Exports. No question about it. Since everything about job designs, metadata, and functions, are in binary files, the only way to do a "selective" restore is from an export file. A directory copy or backup is simply a bitwise image at that point in time.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

And there's a nice little DOS batch file over in the file library on ADN that will automate the exports of all project on a server.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
akrzy
Participant

Post by akrzy »

Thanks a lot.
I've found this backup script.

Best Regards,
Anka :D
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

Do let us know if you have any problems with this script, or would like to suggest any feature upgrades.

Thanks.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

FWIW, I use it with a registered version of WinZip, which gives you access to WinZip's Command Line Interface. I hooked this into the backup script with the (off the top of my head) 'move' option in WinZip and so now instead of ending up with 15 exported projects taking up almost a Gig of disk space, I get a single zip with all projects in it. The compressed file is date stamped and takes up a little less than 200MB. 8)
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

We use a BAT file that exports to a shared drive (one that is backed up daily), first taking a copy of yesterday's export. So at any time we've got DSExport.dsx and DSExport.dsx.bak on disk, and anything older can be recovered from backup. We don't bother with compression; there's plenty of free disk space, and it's more convenient to restore from.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
gauravb
Participant

Post by gauravb »

Hi All,
where can i find this DOS batch file ( ADN )that will automate the exports of all project on a server.
Please can you specify the exact Location?
Is is avaliable some where is in default datastage repository??
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ADN is the Ascential Developer Network and is here. It is Ascential's official version of a site like this one and registering gives you access to their File Library.

You'll find the file in question is called DataStageBackup.zip in the Product Application category.
-craig