Notification activity in a job sequence.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vimali balakrishnan
Participant

Notification activity in a job sequence.

Post by vimali balakrishnan »

I have given a notification activity at the end of a job sequence.The notification activity is to indicate the completion of the jobs in the sequence.I used the SMTP server which is fine.But no mails are sent through that SMTP server.But mails are sent through the same SMTP server in a windows based DataStage Server.Do we need to set any properties in the unix server??? Further if I want to send mails to more than one person what is the delimiter that is to be used.Can you please clarify me???
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What exact version of DataStage and what flavor of UNIX?

I've found that on my system, with 7.0.1 and HP/UX, it doesn't matter what I specify for the SMTP server - it isn't used. It uses whatever default SMTP server or gateway the SAs setup on the box, from what I remember. :? You may be able to affect that by tweaking the dssendmail template in your project, but I haven't tried anything along those lines.

As to the 'sending emails to more than one person' question, there are a couple of options. You should be able to use a space as an address delimiter in the Notification Activity stage. I *think* that may not work on a Windows server, but it should for you.

A better solution, and one we try to stick with, is to establish a notification group or distribution list or what you'd like to call it - one address that is actually a list of several addresses. We establish them specific to the project or even the process we are notifying for. This allows you to change who gets the emails, to add or remove people from the group, without having to touch the job. This is even more relevant because - for whatever reason - you can't parameterize this in the stage.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
To add on what craig said, last time I simply asked my sysadmin to be able to send mails from the unix box and after he made the arrangements it worked fine.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org