Problems with upgrade V5.2 to V7.5

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I think you are not finding bugs in 7.5, per se, these are more like examples where they've gotten tougher on enforcing their own rules. Things you basically "got away with" in earlier versions are not being allowed any more. Now, whether that's a good thing or not can be a matter of opinion, but ... :?

As to your specific problems:

1) I'm surprised this ever worked - but then I always used hand-code up until the 6.x release, which is when I started to play with Sequencer jobs. You are going to need to encapsulate this code into a routine, passing out your row count. Then your custom trigger can use something like:

Code: Select all

RoutineStageName.$ReturnValue > 0
Or you can use the Nested Expression Stage to do your job branching based on the same trigger code.

2) Hmmm... if I'm following this, you have a job that runs through all jobs in a project and resets them. I did something like this a few years ago and did have issues when it tried to attach to itself - because it is currently running. Not sure why it hangs, perhaps an issue with your error handling, but you have the answer - skip over itself.

3) The Invocation ID becomes part of the job name and old versions allowed invalid characters to be used there. Now, things like commas or quoted strings can no longer be used. Unfortunately, something you'll need to work around or adapt to. :?

Perhaps others will post specific examples of things they used to do in earlier versions that no longer work. Fortunately, I haven't had any issues like this. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
gotosarath
Participant

Another issue I observed

Post by gotosarath »

Hi,

We are taking up upgrade from 5.2 to 7.5. One issue I observed is in the foolowing query

Select col1, col2, col3
From tab1
Where -- col3 = 'a' and
col4 = 'b'
Here '-- 'is used to comment the line in SQL Server
The above query was working perfect with 5.2 but not in 7.5.
The reason possibly because in 5.2 the query is sent to Database as multiple lines of code where as in 7.3 its is done as single line. The query when ewxecuted at database is giving an error in where clause

Select col1, col2, col3 From tab1 Where -- col3 = 'a' and col4 = 'b'

In the above query datavase interprets all the text after where clause as a comment and throws an error.

Thsi is my observation. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Sarath
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
on 2nd "problem", some how I remember that written in the docs is a specific not you can't or is it shouldn't attach a job to itself and not a specific point in ds 7.5
by the way it is easy to check if the name you have is the job's own name and avoid the attach.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org