Creating a unique field for data and use of @INROWNUM

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

PilotBaha
Premium Member
Premium Member

Creating a unique field for data and use of @INROWNUM

Post by PilotBaha »

I know this "how do i create a unique number for the data that doesn't have a good key candidate?" issue has been beaten to death. In searches I did and talking to other folks I haven't seen much use of @INROWNUM. What is the best practice or what are the pros and cons of using this to create that unique field?

Thanks..
ogmios
Participant

Re: Creating a unique field for data and use of @INROWNUM

Post by ogmios »

@INROWNUM starts at 1 with every new run. You would already add it to another number to get something unique.

If you're using a database I would suggest that to generate unique keys.

Ogmios
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
PilotBaha
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PilotBaha »

I left out an important point : in this case the table is being recreated.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Then @INROWNUM is a good choice, because it is guaranteed to be unique.

If you have a constraint on the output link, all this means is that you will have gaps in your sequence. If all you're after is uniqueness this is not a problem.

If you don't want gaps in the sequence, prefer @OUTROWNUM.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

PilotBaha wrote:I left out an important point : in this case the table is being recreated.
Some databases have the option to turn off generation of autoincrement fields so that they can be loadad with pre-existing data.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I've had a lot of success with @OUTROWNUM, even when appending a table where the last used number is passed in as a job parameter. People are moving to a shared counter design such as a hash file because there is an increasing use of parallel processing, either by multiple instance standard jobs or parallel jobs. Are you sure your job will never become a multiple instance job?
PilotBaha
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PilotBaha »

I am sure 99% :lol: It's a job that creates data for a repository to be used by a Crystal Reports report. Since it's a process that recreates one table and there will be no other update or insert to it that makes me feel comfortable with it.