Running jobs from Windows using 3rd party scheduler

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gdheatley
Participant

Running jobs from Windows using 3rd party scheduler

Post by gdheatley »

Does anyone have examples of envoking DataStage jobs outside of DataStage Director on a windows environment?

We are converting over from Unix to Windows platform and wish to be able to use a 3rd party enterprise scheduling tool to run our DataStage jobs.

On unix it was easy as we simply called a unix shell script that invoked dsjob with the appropriate parameters passed. We wish to replicate in Windows. Can you do the same via a windows .bat?

Any help would be appreciated.
PilotBaha
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PilotBaha »

Look for "dsjob" in your manuals and in this forum.. Running away from UNIX to Windose, eh?.. I usually like the other way around :D
gdheatley
Participant

Post by gdheatley »

PilotBaha wrote:Look for "dsjob" in your manuals and in this forum.. Running away from UNIX to Windose, eh?.. I usually like the other way around :D
No actually looking to move from Unix to Windows.

Ever tried using the SQL Bulk Loader while running DataStage on Unix? Exactly!

Obviously from my message I understand using DataStage within the Unix environment and have used shell scripts to invoke dsjob, pass parameters, and thus utlized 3rd party scheduler. What I'm looking for is best practice in performing the same process in windows environment

And no we are not intersted in using the DataStage schedular as it is not an enterprise class schedular.

Please do not comment if the best you have is refer to the manuals as it is a cop out and adds absolutely no value.
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

I believe you could invoke dsjob from PERL, C, C++, VB etc... just depends on how fancy and complicated you want to make your wrapper. I have been onsite with customers that have used most of these or a combination of these with an enterprise scheduler as the controlling software.

Regards,
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Running jobs from Windows using 3rd party scheduler

Post by chulett »

gdheatley wrote:On unix it was easy as we simply called a unix shell script that invoked dsjob with the appropriate parameters passed. We wish to replicate in Windows. Can you do the same via a windows .bat?
The short answer to your question is yes - dsjob works just the same on Windows as it does on UNIX. The difference would be the batch syntax required to 'wrapper' it.

Unfortunately, I don't have an example to share, not being on a Windows server. I don't remember anyone ever posting one either, but perhaps someone will now. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

Here is a simple .bat file that lists the projects for a particular server -

Code: Select all

c:\ascential\datastage70\engine\bin\dsjob -server %1 -user %2 -password %3 -lprojects
When you invoke from the command line you can pass arguments.

Hope this helps.