DB2 Lookups on a Load Job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JezT
Participant

DB2 Lookups on a Load Job

Post by JezT »

I have a load job that is adding a field to a Customer DB2 table. In my source file that I am loading up, I have 18 rows (2 different rows for each ID of 1-9).

If I do a lookup on the table and then add the data directly to the DB2 table (so that the lookup and target table are linked to the same transformer), it only brings back 9 rows (i.e. one for each ID). However, if I add a temp file in between the transformer and the target DB2 table, the lookup brings back 18 rows.

Any reason why by going straight from transformer to DB2 table, half of the data is lost and yet if I add a file in between, it brings back all 18 rows ?

Is it because the same transformer is performing a lookup and a load on the same DB2 table ?

It's just that by using the file in between, the efficiency of the job is effected and when this is running on our live system, there will be up to 8 million rows running.
ogmios
Participant

Re: DB2 Lookups on a Load Job

Post by ogmios »

Probably transaction problems. Try 2 things:
- Try putting the transaction size of the loading stage to 1.
- Put the transaction isolation to uncomitted read.

Reading and writing from the same table in a job is known to cause problems in DataStage using DB2. The problem is that each database stage opens it own connection to the database, so they run using different connections and in a different transaction.

Ogmios
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is your load rule "insert or update" and does the target table have a primary key defined? Chances are that the first 9 rows are inserted, then the next 9 rows "update" (by overwriting). After all, you only have nine key values.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.