Convert Redbrick plugin to db2 plugin

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rasi
Participant

Convert Redbrick plugin to db2 plugin

Post by rasi »

We currently have Redbrick 6.2 and datastage 7.2 Server in the production. We are likely to migrate our database from Redbrick to DB2 and I am doing some analysis of what are the impact and changes need to happen in the datastage jobs.

Well I know that we used some special functions and syntax need to be changed to db2 equivalent.

But I am thinking is there any quick way to update the existing redbrick bulk load plug-in with DB2 load plug-in. Will exporting to dsx and then changing the plug-in will work......

Share your ideas...

Thanks
Regards
Siva

Listening to the Learned

"The most precious wealth is the wealth acquired by the ear Indeed, of all wealth that wealth is the crown." - Thirukural By Thiruvalluvar
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I doubt it. :? Tricks like that can be used to migrate from the OCI8 to the OCI9 stage, for example, but I would think that there are enough differences between the two plugins to make a 'quick' solution impractical.

You are probably going to need to define a 'cookbook' methodology for switching a job from one plugin to the other and then sit people down and get them cranking! :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
datastage
Participant

Post by datastage »

agreed. too much to risk (and development time) in trying any automated conversion. If you have multiple developers making a changeover like this isn't as time consuming as you would think, its just not fun...
Byron Paul
WARNING: DO NOT OPERATE DATASTAGE WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.

"Strange things are afoot in the reject links" - from Bill & Ted's DataStage Adventure
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I believe it would be relatively straightforward.

What Siva is postulating is switching from one bulk-loading stage type to a different bulk-loading stage type. There's much less difference between bulk loaders than there is between database servers.

Hopefully the DB2 bulk loader stage handles dates and timestamps as gracefully as the Red Brick bulk loader stage does. This is, as far as I can guess (and only because of the grief others have experienced with DB2 dates on this forum), likely to be the biggest problem area, perhaps requiring a variation in derivation in the Transformer stage that feeds the bulk loader stage, or in the SQL that extracts the data from Red Brick.

To test how difficult it might be, create two versions of a simple job that loads data using the two different stage types. Export each and compare the DSX's. Then it would be a simple matter (for an experienced programmer) to create a DataStage BASIC routine to modify the one to the other. I've done a few of these in the past, though not this particular one.

Siva's shop will, one day, realise that DB2 is not nearly as good a database for a data warehouse as Red Brick is; presumably they've been the victim of a smooth-talking IBM sales person.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Thanks for your reply guys. I might try some research of exporting the dsx and comparing the difference between two plug-ins. Will update my research once it is done.

Ray as you said yes I know that DB2 is not going to give the same performance like Redbrick. But at the same time IBM is not giving a certain answer of how long will they support redbrick and will the new version keep coming for the comming years. The only decision which make to covert from redbrick to DB2 is the future support for the Redbrick.

It is a suprise that big company like IBM knowing the value of Redbrick (The only Datawarehouse Database) and not supporting it.

Wish someone buy Redbrick from IBM and start supporting it.

Thanks
Regards
Siva

Listening to the Learned

"The most precious wealth is the wealth acquired by the ear Indeed, of all wealth that wealth is the crown." - Thirukural By Thiruvalluvar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Red Brick 6.30 is the current version.
Red Brick 6.40 is almost ready for beta testing.
Design for releases beyond that is under way.

If they're continuing to develop it, is it likely that they'll drop support for it?

Don't automatically accept anything sales dudes tell you. Oblige them to find out, to get answers for you in writing. Check on them through the Red Brick forum at IIUG. Check on them through your networks.

The good news story just hasn't penetrated the IBM sales force, who have been brainwashed into believing that DB2 is the answer to all the world's problems. I'm sure Oracle bin Larry would have something to say about that!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
peternolan9
Participant

Re: Convert Redbrick plugin to db2 plugin

Post by peternolan9 »

rasi wrote:We currently have Redbrick 6.2 and datastage 7.2 Server in the production. We are likely to migrate our database from Redbrick to DB2 and I am doing some analysis of what are the impact and changes need to happen in the datastage jobs.

Well I know that we used some special functions and syntax need to be changed to db2 equivalent.

But I am thinking is there any quick way to update the existing redbrick bulk load plug-in with DB2 load plug-in. Will exporting to dsx and then changing the plug-in will work......

Share your ideas...

Thanks
Siva,
if you go here:

http://pws.prserv.net/ieinet.pnolan/dow ... SXML01.zip

you will find an XML editor for DataStage jobs. It is in VB and it loads the job into a VB XMLDocument. From looking at a RB job and a DB2 job you may be able to figure out the differences, change the XMLDocument and write the XML job out again. Since the VB code will let you change anything in the XMLDocument it will be possible to edit your jobs this way if you can figure out what changes need to be made....;-) Since I have neither DB2 or RedBrick, I can't really assist you changing the code or testing it..

I have used this code when I needed to add trailing blank truncation to about 800 fields and didn't feel like doing it through DS interface...

In fact we do a lot of editting in the DS XML nowadays, speeds up our development quite a bit......on my current project we wrote templates and then applied mass changes to the templates in XML before loading them into DS and finalising the jobs....
Best Regards
Peter Nolan
www.peternolan.com