Scheduling vs. Manual

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

brucee
Participant

Scheduling vs. Manual

Post by brucee »

I have certain jobs that fail due to connection errors when they are run through the scheduler. In other words, if I schedule the jobs to run at any time of day, the jobs fail. However if I run the jobs manually, the job completes without a problem. It is almost as if these jobs struggle with the connection and then timeout when connecting using the scheduler. Has anyone had this problem before?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Hello Bruce - this sounds like a typical access rights issue, where the process rights inherited when starting a job manually are different (and higher) than those when spawned by a scheduler. Do you have the log file error message handy, that way you can start to narrow the cause down - at least to see if it is due to file system access or Database access.
-Arnd.
brucee
Participant

Post by brucee »

Thanks for the help but that does not appear to be the case. I am quite new at working with datastage, but it is all logged in as the same user. There is only one user on the machine.
wdudek
Participant

Post by wdudek »

Bruce,
When a job is run from designer or kicked off manually in director the job is run as the user who is logged in to the system. When Jobs are scheduled they do not run as this user. To Check who the job is running as or change to run the scheduled jobs as a differnt user
1. Launch Administrator
2. Select the project from the projects tab
3. Click on properties
4. Click on the Schedule tab, and verify/change the user name and password entered here.
brucee
Participant

Post by brucee »

Thank you this appears to work. My concern is that these fields were null and clearly are supposed to inherit the login details. Now I have sepcified the Username and password this will need to be changed whenever the server password is changed. Thanks again for all the help.