capture error log

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Ramdatastage
Participant

capture error log

Post by Ramdatastage »

Hi ,

I want to capture log file that is generated after executing a job and save it to a particular location. Please advise me how to go for this. do we have any functions to catch this.

thanks in advance.

ram...
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Search the forum, we've covered using the DS BASIC APIs in a user-written after-job routine to dump out log messages generated in the run to a text file. In fact, this question gets asked almost every day.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I like the SQL solutions. I do not like the API solutions for logs and row counts. Row counts are easiest with dsjob -report. IMHO. The API works best for starting and stopping jobs.

I just wrote a routine which will change these SQL statements into html. I will post it soon. I want to tie this to an email so you can email the last run's log when a job fails. Most email programs will display html. If a sequence fails then it should find the first failed job and mail that log. It would be easy to ftp html files these to a web server. I am not sure I would ever do that, others will.

I still do not know why people want these log files on successful runs. Please explain this to me.
Mamu Kim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'd be curious as well... honestly. :? We're capturing job metrics but I'd really like to know what the value add is for this sudden spurt of interest in capturing logs.

Maybe I'm missing out on something!
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers