DB2 plugin - Unable to initialize plug-in:

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

anilkona
Participant

DB2 plugin - Unable to initialize plug-in:

Post by anilkona »

I am getting this error while trying to import any plugin metadata definitions:
Unable to initialize plug-in:

The data stage server is on AIX box and the plugin is DB2. I only have this plugin installed. The following variables are set in the user profile of DataStage administrator.

DB2DIR

DB2INSTANCE

INSTHOME

LD_LIBRARY_PATH

THREADS_FLAG

Do these variables need to be part of 'dsenv' file as well?

Any ideas on why we get this error ?

Thanks,
-Anil
anilkona
Participant

Post by anilkona »

Additional info:
I am getting this following error when I try to 'View data' from the DSDB2 stage.

ds_loadlibrary: error in dlopen

Any ideas why we get this? Am I missing any libraries in the LIBRARY_PATH variable?

The database is Db2UDB 8.1.004 and DataStage server 7.1 is on AIX box.

Thanks,
-Anil
davidnemirovsky
Participant

Post by davidnemirovsky »

In what order did you install the DB2 Client drivers and Datastage Server on the box?

I had a similar problem with Oracle8i while trying to import plugin metadata definitions.

I had installed the Oracle8i client after I had installed Datastage. After re-installed the Datastage server the installation seemed to pick up the Oracle client for Metadata import and probably other functions like 'View data'.
Cheers,
Dave Nemirovsky
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The plugins are documented, including the configuration requirements for each. Check the documentation pdf files that were installed with the client. From the DataStage Documentation pdf you can get to the DataStage Plug-In Installation and Configuration Guide pdf, which lists what is required for each plugin. Or you can just go straight to the InstConf.pdf file on your pc.

And yes, whatever variables are required need to be setup in the dsenv file on a UNIX server. Not 'as well' but instead of. :wink: And lastly, DataStage needs to be 'bounced' before the changes will be seen.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
anilkona
Participant

Post by anilkona »

We added the variables to dsenv and still get the error. Here are the entries in our dsenv file
export DB2DIR=/usr/opt/db2_08_01
export DB2INSTANCE=db2epm1
export INSTHOME=/db2/home/db2epm1
export DB2PATH=/usr/opt/db2_08_01

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$DB2DIR/lib:$INSTHOME/sqllib/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
PATH=$INSTHOME/sqllib/bin:$INSTHOME/sqllib/adm:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH PATH

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Anil
davidnemirovsky
Participant

Post by davidnemirovsky »

First re-install the DB2 client on the server. Then re-install Datastage on the server. This will set the dsenv file and any other variables needed.

Chances are that you can fix it by modifying all the environment variables and DS files, I suppose it depends if you are limited with time.

Re-installing both should get it working.
Cheers,
Dave Nemirovsky
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

djhigh wrote:First re-install the DB2 client on the server. Then re-install Datastage on the server. This will set the dsenv file and any other variables needed.
Unless something has changed recently, installing (or re-installing) DataStage on a UNIX server does nothing to your dsenv file. You've always had to go back and edit it by hand, knowing what needed to be done for each optional plugin you installed. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
anilkona
Participant

Post by anilkona »

It works now. The problem was with dsenv configuration. Here is the exact list of variables required in dsenv file:

DB2DIR=/usr/opt/db2_08_01; export DB2DIR
DB2INSTANCE=db2epm1; export DB2INSTANCE
INSTHOME=/db2/home/db2epm1; export INSTHOME
#export DB2PATH=/usr/opt/db2_08_01

LIBPATH=$DB2DIR/lib:$INSTHOME/sqllib/lib:$LIBPATH