FTP command TYPE failed error?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

FTP command TYPE failed error?

Post by trokosz »

I have a simple server Job that takes a Sequential Stage (single row) and links to a FTP Plug-in Stage. Actually sometimes this Job runs but most of the time it fails. When it fails the log says:

"ftptest..FTP_Plug_in_1: Error while trying to open connection for sending data to the FTP server, FTP command TYPE failed"

Does anyone recognize this error? I have seen PORT failed and others but never "TYPE failed". Any insight is appreciated.
chucksmith
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by chucksmith »

Type refers to the transfer type, binary or ascii.
trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Don't think its that....

Post by trokosz »

Yes, this is ascii and not binary. Maybe a liitle background. I think the FTP Stage is having trouble resolving the "Server Name"....I need to find out how the Server Name gets resolved?

Just to summarize what I did with the DataStage FTP Stage Job:

1. Tried running the Job in DataStage 6.0 and 7.1 and it failed...so its not a patch or version error.
2. Tried running the Job to ftp to edwsds and other servers vs. edwsftp server and it worked just fine....so this tells me something is happening to the edwsftp server.

3. I checked the ftp version and its 2.6.2 just like all others so that's not it.
4. I tried ftping to edwsftp manually and it worked...so now I'm back to DataStage and edwsftp server.
5. I tried using the IP Address of edwsftp and it still failed.
6. I tried using the edwpftp because I heard this is the server name (and it has 3 IP Addresses associated) and it failed.

So I believe its something to do with the server name, three IP Addresses (one is edwsftp) and the FTP Stage Plug-in having trouble resolving the Server Name. I have a call into Ascential but at the same someone in the infrastructure group that set this up needs to re-check.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Try using IP addresses (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx format) rather than host names. There may be an issue with name resolution in your network.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.