DataStage Version Control Issue/Problem

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dzdiver
Participant

DataStage Version Control Issue/Problem

Post by dzdiver »

Hi,
We are having a sporadic problem with DataStage Version Control.

It manifests itself occasionally when a job is promoted. If the promoted job is then viewed, it can be a completely different job from that that was supposed to be promoted. It cannot always be fixed by promoting it again and we have had to create new jobs and copy them to get the desired result. This has happened when promoting into various environments (test/prod fix/prodution).

We have repaired the indices on the version project but not yet sure if that has fixed the problem or if it will reoccur.

Because of this, our main concern is we cannot rely on this for integrity of promoting into our production system without a lot of manual checking etc.

This has been logged with Ascential and is an open issue, however we would like to know if anybody else is experiencing this problem or has workarounds for this?

Does anybody else use any other version/source control/build systems? Are there good alternatives?

PS There has been suggestion here in house that it happens at times when the client is under pressure for resources. This is currently only one suggestion of a possibility.

regards,
B.
yannish
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by yannish »

I've seen something like that happening also when toying with Version Control. It seemed to work well when used with complete batches but when promoting just a single job it somehow managed to promote a complete different job and in fact it turned my job into a sequence job (but then again there's no real difference from the DataStage's point of view there).

For me it just picked the first job and promoted that under the name of the job I was trying to promote. Haven't tried that since but I'm quite interessed to here what the support guys will say...

Janne
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Wow. Very strange. :? I've been using Version Control since you had to pay for the darn thing, since the 4.0 days at multiple sites and I've never seen this particular issue. Any of the issues mentioned, actually. I'd be very curious of the outcome as well.

The only thing that I wonder about is the use of Win2K. Perhaps it is related to that somehow? Have you tried running the client on an XP box and seeing if it behaves any differently?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
yannish
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by yannish »

I tried to re-produce the error on my laptop which runs XP and couldn't do it. Unfortunately I don't have W2K client nearby to test on that at the moment (when I was experiencing these issues I did have W2K on my laptop). So it could actually be something to do with this. Well, I'll see if I can get hold of a W2K machine and run the test there too...

Janne