Accessing Log files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yaminids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Accessing Log files

Post by yaminids »

Hello there,

Can anyone help me in storing the log files, generated in compilation, in a separate directory. I searched the archive and could not find a solution to my problem, eventhough I found some useful information. I would highly appreciate if someone could post their views here which I think would be highly useful to many members.
Also, am I supposed to install Universe server on the machine on which I installed DataStage server to access the log files.

Thanks in advance.
-Yamini
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The log files are NOT FILES - they are database tables.

You can use regular queries on the DataStage server machine; you do not need UniVerse installed.

Search also for a routine called ArchiveLogFiles which was published years ago - you're not the first to have this requirement.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Accessing Log files

Post by chulett »

yaminids wrote:Can anyone help me in storing the log files, generated in compilation, in a separate directory.
The confusing part to me is the 'generated in compilation' part of that sentence. :? It doesn't mean the normal log files from when the job runs to me... but that could just be me.

Perhaps the OP is after something different?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There's no log file for that, on either the client or the server.

Output from the compiler on stdout and stderr is redirected to the connection to the client.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
yaminids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Accessing Log files

Post by yaminids »

Hello Ray,

Thank you for your reply. Now, I clearly understand about the log tables. Is there any way to redirect these log tables into a particular directory.

Thanx in advance.
-Yamini
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I think what they want is to archive logs to some kind of flat file. There have been several solutions posted even recently. Do a search for RT_LOG and archive.
Mamu Kim
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

You can redirect the entire project to another directory. When you create a project in the Administrator you are prompted for a location. This would locate all the metadata and log files for that project to a new location and seperates the static part of your DataStage server - the software, from the dynamic part - the projects.