Storing log files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yaminids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Storing log files

Post by yaminids »

Hello there,

I have 5 jobs in my project and I want to store all the log files generated while executing the jobs. To be precise, when I execute a job 'A' for example, I want to store the log file generated for this job in a directory. Similarly, I want to store all the log files generated when I execute other jobs in the same directory.
Can anyone suggest me any methods to accomplish this please.

Thanx in advance
-Yamini
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
What do you want to acomplish?
Do you need text/ascii files read able in an editor?
Will a report summary of job run be good for you?
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
yaminids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Storing log files

Post by yaminids »

Hi Roy,

First of all thank you for your reply.
Can you explain to me how to accomplish the two tasks you listed: Text/Ascii files and Report summary.

I appreciate your time.
-Yamini
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
There is the DSGetLogSummary() or (Since release 7) command line dsjob - report option to get a report on a job.
so you'll need to check if it has what you need.

there are several posts in this forum (use search) of using the routines to get log entries using basic code and dumping them to files ( such as DSGetNewestLogId() & DSGetLogEntry() ) which are documented in the help.

the actual log files are hash files, hence of no real use being backed up to view then in a conventional editor.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
vcannadevula
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Storing log files

Post by vcannadevula »

yaminids wrote:Hello there,

I have 5 jobs in my project and I want to store all the log files generated while executing the jobs. To be precise, when I execute a job 'A' for example, I want to store the log file generated for this job in a directory. Similarly, I want to store all the log files generated when I execute other jobs in the same directory.
Can anyone suggest me any methods to accomplish this please.

Thanx in advance
-Yamini

You can Import the Logs into a Text file from the Director using the Print option Under Projects.........Select the "Print to File" option. It will write the logs in to a text file. You can write single JOb logs or the Project logs into a text file.

Thank You
VJ