Windows XP SP2 and DataStage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

datastage
Participant

Windows XP SP2 and DataStage

Post by datastage »

I was just curious for those that have already tested or installed Windows XP Service Pack 2 if they had any specific issues with the new service pack in general, as well as the correct function of DataStage Client and/or DataStatge Server on Windows XP SP2.

Thanks
Byron Paul
WARNING: DO NOT OPERATE DATASTAGE WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.

"Strange things are afoot in the reject links" - from Bill & Ted's DataStage Adventure
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

In case people aren't aware, there is a whitepaper on DataStage and SP2 available in the File Library on ADN. As with most things SP2, it seems to concentrate on the Firewall changes.

I have yet to be exposed to SP2 at either work or home, so can't offer any personal insight.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

Byron,

I have installed SP2 and have not witnessed any issues with connecting to DS either on my localhost or customer servers.

I originally decided to install SP2 because of some net use issues that had been hot fixed and it has taken care of these issues. It also has fixed the problem with connecting to network resources when you are not a member of a domain (things like not reconnecting at login etc...). Startup (loading of services) is much faster as you have more control over what starts, how things are started and what resources are used.

I watched an analyst on tv state that SP2 has some major bugs and should not be used yet as there are more than 50 applications that do not work well with SP2 (that's sure to change as more folks implement), but I have not experienced any problems with any apps that I have installed. I also believe it would be wise to first read the MS white paper regarding known issues before installing since this is a pretty major release.

The nice part is that it creates a restore point so if anything should go wrong you can at least restore back to a known good point.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Morney, at least, seems to have major issues. See today's post from Morney for example.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

Well I'll be!!!!!! Since installing SP2 I had not worked in a sequence job and Morney is correct - job and routine stages seem to have a problem so Byron, I would say hold off if you can and don't upgrade until there is a fix. Who knows what else is lurking.

Regards,
aqtl
Participant

SP2 causing problem editing Job Sequencer

Post by aqtl »

I have installed SP2 and have encounted a problem. When editing a job sequencer, if I open the property of a JobActivity, DS Designer got stuck.
I've then uninstalled SP2, then DS Designer work normally.
I think that DS Client has some conflits with the new firewall of SP2 (it controls the I/O of Client/Server). Maybe we don't have to uninstall SP2, a correct firewall setting should allow DS work normally.
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

Please let us know if you find the magic combination of settings that will correct the sequencer problem, although I would still be a bit suspect that other areas may be affected and we just don't know where.

Regards,
crouse
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by crouse »

There is a patch for XP SP2 on Ascential's EService Download page.

Here's the text from the patch's readme...

job sequencer canvas after the installation of Windows XP SP2.

job activity
routine activity
user variable activity

Applicability of patch
======================
This patch will patch release 7.5 of DataStage and earlier
versions. However if the unsupported client switcher from
earlier 7.x releases is installed then the 7.5 version of
the client switcher should be installed prior to applying
this patch.

Instructions for installing the patch for ecase 60128
=====================================================

The patch for ecase 60128 comprises a number of files
contained within a zip file called: DataStage_XPSP2_Patch.zip.
The patch is a client only patch for Windows XP SP2 only.

Install the patch as follows:

1) Create a temporary directory
2) Unzip the patch into the temporary directory
3) Run the setup.bat file, it will prompt for the installation
directory of the client. This MUST be quoted when entered.

Uninstallation
==============
The patch can be uninstalled by running the setup.bat script
with the option '/uninstall'. As before the client install path
must be quoted when entered.

-- End of document --

-Craig
Craig Rouse
Griffin Resouces, Inc
www.griffinresources.com
ewartpm
Participant

Post by ewartpm »

Hi Byron

XP is only supported as a client, not a server. This does not seem to be widley documented, because it came out a few times at Ascential World 2004. The Ascential engineers stressed that XP never was a server supported platform and never will be...just so y'all know.
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

Crouse is correct. There is a client-specific patch for XP SP2. Please contact Ascential Support to obtain a copy or use the eService web page. A copy may also be available on Ascential Developers Net's download pages.