Tracking file/table usage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ekareem
Participant

Tracking file/table usage

Post by ekareem »

Hi All,
I am maintainig a datastage project that has sequential file stages and oracle stages defined in jobs and not in manager.

As a result, I can't use the manager's "Usage Analysis" to track where a file is created from or a table being used.

Is there a way track usage in this situation?

Thanks.
Amos.Rosmarin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Amos.Rosmarin »

Hi

The best way will be to use metastage,
Another option is to use the job export file (you can use either the dsx or xml) and then analyze it.

HTH,
Amos
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Another option is Reporting Assistant.
Mamu Kim
KeithM
Participant

Post by KeithM »

Check out this post. It identifies a tool that Chuck Smith created that can be used to search a project for file or table usage.
Keith
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you Save the column definitions from your jobs to the Repository, Usage Analysis should be able to report on them.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chucksmith
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by chucksmith »

Keith mentioned my tool that lists all files and tables used by jobs in a dsx file. Just export your job designs and routines with source, then copy this dsx file to your DataStage server. On the DataStage Tools page on my web site, www.anotheritco.com, the second link is the tool Keith mentioned. Import my tool, and run it specifying your dsx file as the input file. The tool produces a file listing category name, job name, file type and direction, and file/table name or user defined sql.

Give it a try, and let me know what you think.
ekareem
Participant

Post by ekareem »

Guys, you are very helpful. Thank you all very mcuh.

Chuck,
I tried one of your tools, I don't know where to put the search string - For example, I tried to use a string like 'Transformer' in variable StagesTypesOfInterest (assuming this is the search arg) and ran this against the tool's .dsx file but I got no output.

Could you please indicate how to pass a search argument to the program?
Thanks.

ekareem