Version Control Architecture

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yannish
Charter Member
Charter Member

Version Control Architecture

Post by yannish »

I have played recently with Version Control and it seems to do quite well what it is supposed to do apart from crashing from time to time (I don't know if it's my Windows XP SP 2 client or VC that's causing it). But it's not a big problem.

Now I'm wondering how does it move objects from one project to another? We have UNIX servers and we've done our dev to test to prod moves by exporting and importing in Manager. This takes quite a long time as our clients are way out there... So, does VC move the objects on server side or does it too bring them first to the client?

Cheers,

Janne
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Version Control Architecture

Post by chulett »

yannish wrote:So, does VC move the objects on server side or does it too bring them first to the client?
Being a client tool, it brings things up to the client. You'll see marked differences in performance when working local versus remote, much like you are seeing with Import/Export via the Manager.

Haven't had it crash on me, but then I'm only on SP1. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

VC must bring components to the client; it's capable of promoting between UNIX-based and Windows-based DataStage servers.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
yannish
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by yannish »

Thanks guys,

that what I was afraid of ;) Well, it still beats export/import so I'll keep on promoting its use.

Janne