Server Config - dev test prod same machine?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jgriesemer
Participant

Server Config - dev test prod same machine?

Post by jgriesemer »

We are just starting out with datastage. I'd like to get a recommendation on what is the best way to configure the server installation to support our multiple environments (dev, test, prod). We plan on creating 4 projects: DEV, TEST, PROD, VERSION.

Some questions:
- Is it recommended to split these environments into different machines?
- If hardware is scarce right now, would 1 server allow me to use independent parameters files (one file per project)?
- Where are parameter files placed on the server (by project) for reading into Sequence jobs via routines?

Thanks much!
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

We've managed to get by with a dev and prod instance and put them on different machines. If we had QA functionality, I would put test on a machine by itself. My reasoning is that, especially with Windows machines, anything done on development or test would affect the performance of the production jobs.

I put my parameter file in a sub-directory name that is dependent on the project (not under the project directory). So, if I had different projects, each could have it's own parameter file.

Hope this helps,
Tony
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

While you can have multiple projects on the same machine, it's always a compromise to do so, which is why separate machines are to be performed.
For example, in development it's possible to get into situations where the machine (or the DataStage Engine) needs to be re-started. Having production on the same machine would limit your capacity for doing this.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.