64 bit HASH files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

denzilsyb
Participant

64 bit HASH files

Post by denzilsyb »

Hi guys

I went through the following 2 processes:

for SOLARIS (64bit OS):
  • change uvconfig file parameter from 64BIT_FILES 0 to 64BIT_FILES 1
    stopped DS services
    started DS services
Is DS going to automatically create 64 bit HASH files from now on?

I did exactly the same for my windows 2000 professional on my desktop - a 32 bit machine. I created a job that writes to a HASH file and there were no warnings, no fatals - just a finished-OK run.

If the creation of 64 bit hash files is automatic after following the above process, then I would expect DS on windows to complain about some sort of invalid parameter. I can only conclude then that DS does not automatically create 64 bit HASH files - based on the "ONLY valid on 64-bit capable platforms" in the uvconfig file. It would mean then that for every HASH file we require that is larger than 32 bit allows, we need to create the 64 bit HASH manually.

Or is there a better way?
dnzl
"what the thinker thinks, the prover proves" - Robert Anton Wilson
Thomas.Nel
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Thomas.Nel »

Howzit DenzilSyb,

Firstly, it is not a good idea to change your uvconfig parameter BECAUSE that will cause all new hash files to be created as 64 bit which is probably not what you want.

There is a better way - you can create a standard (32 bit) hash files and then resize it to 64 bit:

RESIZE filename * * * 64BIT [ USING pathname ]

If you search the forum you will find some useful info.

Tom.
I live in my own little world. But it's OK, they know me here.
denzilsyb
Participant

Post by denzilsyb »

Hi Tom

I will take your suggestion and play with the concept. Is there a major decrease in performance when using 64 bit HASH files?
dnzl
"what the thinker thinks, the prover proves" - Robert Anton Wilson
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The only 64-bit things that get created are the internal pointers within the hashed file. Therefore, it is possible to create them even on a 32-bit operating system. They break when they hit 2GB, not because of anything in DataStage, but because the operating system can't handle files of that size.

I think the wording is that they're "not supported" on these operating systems. Not that they can't be created.

Therefore the answer to your question "Is DS going to automatically create 64 bit HASH files from now on?" is Yes.

You don't really want this, there is a performance hit. Although it's not major, it's definitely there.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.