Execute Stored Procedure at ODBC stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

tang
Participant

Execute Stored Procedure at ODBC stage

Post by tang »

Hi all,

I have a job calling oracle 9i stored procedure at ODBC stage.
I have successfully import the stored procedure, and applied it on the stage.

but i've difficulty in how to make the job run.

is there anyone can help a datastage beginner?

Thx
Kniranjani
Participant

Post by Kniranjani »

HI
I really can not understand your problem.But any way If u want to run the job than compile it first in your designer. Now go to DIrector.Select your job and select run command from the menu and your job will run

Thnx
peternolan9
Participant

Re: Execute Stored Procedure at ODBC stage

Post by peternolan9 »

Tang,
when you post here please provide details of exactly what the problem is, then we can help you. Just saying you have difficulty and are a beginner doesn't give us enough information to help....

Also, the first thing you should do is the DS training....There is an excellent 5 days of training in DS available from ASCL and it will take you from beginner to very well versed on DS....it will also give you materials that are not so easy to find in the manuals....I always recommend the training as a good idea...

My opinion is that it's hardly reasonable to try and get this 5 days of training one question at a time here... ;-)
tang wrote:Hi all,

but i've difficulty in how to make the job run.

Thx
Best Regards
Peter Nolan
www.peternolan.com
tang
Participant

Post by tang »

i'm so sorry. I didn't attend any datastage training and i need to do one or two job using datastage to facilitate my application to obtain the data in faster manner.

Now i'm trying to execute a stored procedure from oracle. From the documentation i follow step by step how to import and use apply the stored procedure in the ODBC stage.

But I stuck after that because my job just simply an ODBC stage. So, how am i going to proceed in order to execute the stored procedure i've applied in ODBC stage? Just compile and run the job?

Sorry to be so novice in datastage.
peternolan9
Participant

Post by peternolan9 »

Hi Tang,
we were all novices one time... :-) ....We just need enough information to be able to comment helpfully.

In server you must run 'active' stages...so your job needs to be a text document -> transform -> ODBC stage where the ODBC stage calls the stored procedure...then you can run your job.....

In the text icon you can point it to a dummy file with a single field in it called dummy which contains anything you like...I put 'dummy' in it....

The job will run, read the file, move the dummy row though the transformer and start the stored procedure....

tang wrote:i'm so sorry. I didn't attend any datastage training and i need to do one or two job using datastage to facilitate my application to obtain the data in faster manner.

Now i'm trying to execute a stored procedure from oracle. From the documentation i follow step by step how to import and use apply the stored procedure in the ODBC stage.

But I stuck after that because my job just simply an ODBC stage. So, how am i going to proceed in order to execute the stored procedure i've applied in ODBC stage? Just compile and run the job?

Sorry to be so novice in datastage.
Best Regards
Peter Nolan
www.peternolan.com
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is a Tutorial that comes with DataStage. If you work through this you will obtain at least a fundamental understanding of how to design and execute DataStage jobs.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
tang
Participant

Post by tang »

thx guys
I've use Routine DSExecute to solve this prob.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

And the other thing is, this being a sharing place, is that we share our solutions. Can you please report how you solved it?

If you'd still like help on the stored procedure from ODBC stage (which CAN be done), please post any error messages that appeared in the job log when you tried this approach.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.