copy project from one box to another

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

deep
Participant

copy project from one box to another

Post by deep »

Hi All

Can we move a Datstage project from one box to another on UNIX.

1.Both the unix boxes are exactly the same
2.Both have the same ver of Datstage installed.
3.Both have the same directory structure for datatsage projects.

Instead of exporting and importing the jobs from one box to another,we were wondering if there was a way to just do a unix copy and start using the jobs on the new box.

Thanks
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

This is a bad idea. Yes, it could work under specific circumstances, however, the caveats would be long and lengthy.

The burden of simply importing and compiling jobs is not that great. Perhaps you could post why you are considering this route, because maybe you're doing things in a manner that makes life difficult and we potential could steer you in a better direction.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I agree with Ken but if I was going to do this then I would create the project first. Next I would overlay the project with the one from the other machine. This would update the necessary files in the UV account.
Mamu Kim
deep
Participant

Post by deep »

kduke wrote:I agree with Ken but if I was going to do this then I would create the project first. Next I would overlay the project with the one from the other machine. This would update the necessary files in the UV account.
We tried this but we could not see the jobs in the designer.
We made sure the copy was done by root.

We have a procedure for disaster recovery and we dont have the time it takes to redeploy everything
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

You probably need to remove the directory before copying contents. You cannot be in Designer when you copy these files. You probably need to reconnect to the project but it should work if the DataStage engine and this one project are in the same directory on both machines.
Mamu Kim