Problem with seeing Database plugins on Palette.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Athorne
Participant

Problem with seeing Database plugins on Palette.

Post by Athorne »

Has anyone seen this issue before. I just had a developer install Datastage 7.1 client on their Windows XP machine. They log in and couldn't see the drs stage on the Database palette of the design tool. Here it gets really strange.

My machine had 5 stages on the database palette. ODBC, Universe, DRS, Oracle 9i, and Teradata. I logged in as myself on this users box to check and see if the problem was local or coming from the server, and sure enough I no drs stage when I logged in from the users box. I have two boxes at my desk so I went to my other machine to see what I had over there and that palette had 9 database stages.

At this point I know it has somethign to do with settings on the local machine just not sure where. The server install I'm logging into does have all the plugins installed so all 9 should be viewable if everything is working correctly.

I did find a workaround which is probably standard procedure. I clicked on the customize option in the database palette and did a load project default and it squaked at me that there was no default.pal file found in the Project folder on the Unix box. So I ended up resetting to the factory defaults and that brought up all 9 database stages on the palette.

Now for the real question. How do I get a default palette setup for a project so I can end any confusion for my developers and limit their ability to grab the wrong database stage? Also, is there something I can do or change on the local machine to control what palette items the developers can see?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Andrew Thorne

Lead Software Engineer
PeopleSoft Technical Architecture
Enterprise Rent-A-Car
Athorne
Participant

Post by Athorne »

I just about answered my own question just now. I see that I can customize the menu and there is an option to create a default palette right there for the project. I still have issue with how or why installs on different machines show different options without doing anything specific. Maybe I missed something in the install, or maybe because I had a previous version.

Basically I still have questions about what on the local client controls the palette setup. It would be nice to replicate that information and store it on a shared drive so I can quickly get developers up and going with the right palette selections if they have issues seeing them all.
Andrew Thorne

Lead Software Engineer
PeopleSoft Technical Architecture
Enterprise Rent-A-Car
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
AFAIK, ther registry entries holds theese things.
ever had the repository vanish never to be found?
even it's location coordinates are in registry entries.
then again there might be some things elsewhere, somehow they never bothered me since I'm used to various configurations in various locations/versions.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org