Unable to create operating system file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

This is a serious problem but I think I can help.
Sorry folks, for some reason it stuck in my brain DYNAMIC hash files aren't resizable. I'm suffering from a severe lack of donuts...
Krispy Kream will have the freshest donuts, you can usually find them close to your nearest Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers center. Sharks circling their prey. Failing that if you can find a lump of solidified fat or lard just roll it into a circle and sprinkle it with sugar.

Mmmmm.... donuts..... (salivating)
Athorne
Participant

Post by Athorne »

Looks like it's time to go off that fall diet Ken. :lol:
Kryt0n
Participant

Post by Kryt0n »

sumitgulati wrote:We figured out the problem.

Since so many users were using this server we sometimes were trying to exceed the maximum number of files DataStage server can open at a time. The limit can be increased by increasing the Mfiles number. The other way to resolve this issue is to limit the number of users.

We increased the Mfiles number and it is now working fine.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Regards,
-Sumit
Would anyone know if the mfiles parameter is per project or across the entire DS environment? We are receiving the same error message when trying to upload to Version Control. It occurs when trying to upload just one file with no other users within the Version Control project.

TIA
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Environment. What 'same error message' are you getting? What exactly do you mean by 'upload to Version Control'?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Kryt0n
Participant

Post by Kryt0n »

chulett wrote:Environment. What 'same error message' are you getting? What exactly do you mean by 'upload to Version Control'?
We were receiving the "unable to create operating system file" error as per the original post in the thread. The error occured while we were transferring files from DS to DS Version Control (that superb tool!).

We have resolved the issue now, it was down to the number of files existing with the version control environment hitting the max file limit.

Thanks
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Kryt0n,

you mean the inode limit on the partition or the UNIX variant's limit on number of files in a tree (32767 on AIX)? You can temporarily work around that problem by converting your RT_LOG<nnn> and RT_STATUS<nnn> files from type 30 (which use 1 directory and 3 files for 4 inodes) to Type 2 (which use just one OS file and inode). I've done that before in the past and it is a viable workaround.