Datastage Client Edition

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kalkavi
Participant

Datastage Client Edition

Post by kalkavi »

Hi,

I would like if i can create and run jobs using datastage client version. Reason i'm asking is, we have around 10 developers who are working on the server and it slows us down. So i was just thinking is there could be a way to work using client version instead of installing server version in all the machines. Please let me know if the question is confusing.

Thanks
Kalyan
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

You have to pay extra for every server version you install. Your server should not slow down with a few developers on it. It is probably the jobs running that are slowing you down. You may need to test big slow jobs at night. We do that now. It works well. You want your developers to be productive.
Mamu Kim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Datastage Client Edition

Post by chulett »

kalkavi wrote:So i was just thinking is there could be a way to work using client version instead of installing server version in all the machines. Please let me know if the question is confusing.
Um... yes. :? What makes you think you need to install the server on every developer's machine? Yikes...

Install the server on one machine, typically a dedicated machine that is not used directly by developers. Then simply install only the Client on all of the developer's machines.

Actually, you may end up with more than one server - one for development and another for production, typically.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What you've asked for is not possible. The DataStage clients are true clients; everything you do is actually recorded and stored on the DataStage server to which the client tool is connected.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.