Problems inserting into an Oracle 9.2 database

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jcoley
Participant

Problems inserting into an Oracle 9.2 database

Post by jcoley »

I'm having a problem inserting into a Oracle 9.2 database from DataStage where the NLS_CHARSET of the database server is AL32UTF8. See below for the error message:

JCTest1..Transformer_1.DSLink4: DSD.BCIPut call to SQLExecute failed.
SQL statement:INSERT INTO SIEBEL.JC_TEST1(FIELD1, FIELD2, FIELD3) VALUES (?,?,?)
SQLSTATE=HY000, DBMS.CODE=1461
[DataStage][SQL Client][ODBC][DataDirect][ODBC Oracle driver][Oracle]ORA-01461: can bind a LONG value only for insert into a LONG column

FIELD1 = "XYZ"
FIELD2 = "This is another test"
FIELD3 = "789"

Note that there are no LONG columns in the table. The same job works fine when inserting into an ORacle 9.2 database with NLS_CHARSET = UTF8.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm assuming at the moment that it is an Oracle problem rather than DataStage. Probably the Oracle client on the DataStage server which is version 8.1.7, but might also be the NLS_CHARSET setting of the client.

Regards,
Jeremy.
ogmios
Participant

Re: Problems inserting into an Oracle 9.2 database

Post by ogmios »

I had this once before but at that time the error was caused by triggers which were activated and trying to insert a long wrongly in another table, so although I also did not bind longs... I did get the same error.

Did you run your successful test on exactly the same database with exactly the same values.

Ogmios

P.S. I don't think you can use 2 Oracle clients at the same time in DataStage, if you would be thinking of installing a 9.2 client besides the 8.1.7 client. :wink:
jcoley
Participant

Post by jcoley »

We've managed to fix this problem by switching DataStage to use an Oracle 9i client (actuallly 9.0.1). I would suggest the problem was to do with the DS ODBC driver interaction with the 8 client.

(This is on a dev box. Remains to be seen whether it is backwards compatible for all projects using the OCI8 plugin in prod!)

The problem I now have is that the metadata for all CHAR and VARCHAR2 fields is out of sync. Was previously 3x length in UTF8 charset, now expects 4x length in AL32UTF8. :roll:
ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

Instead of using varchar(n) in your tables. use varchar(n char). The default for Oracle is to count in bytes, if you put "char" behind the number Oracle will count in unicode characters. So varchar( 8 ) becomes varchar(8 char)

You can find more information in the Oracle globalization guide.

Ogmios

P.S. Didn't you write you were part of an Oracle solution center somewhere :wink:
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
jcoley
Participant

Post by jcoley »

Unfortunately the target system is a Siebel application, so I have no say as to the definition of the tables.

Wouldn't the same problem still exist, though? A column defined as Varchar(100 char) on a UTF8 database would import into DS as Varchar(300) and on a AL32UTF8 database as Varchar(400)?
ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

jcoley wrote:Unfortunately the target system is a Siebel application, so I have no say as to the definition of the tables.

Wouldn't the same problem still exist, though? A column defined as Varchar(100 char) on a UTF8 database would import into DS as Varchar(300) and on a AL32UTF8 database as Varchar(400)?
I don't think so... DataStage should see the varchar(100 char) as 100 long, if the worst case you could still manually change it to 100 manually after importing the table definition. It does work because I have several of these kind of jobs.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
wojtask
Participant

Post by wojtask »

In my case making the length column empty for all varchar fields with length greater than 254 worked :D