How DS is Better than any other ETL tool?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shiv_nm
Participant

How DS is Better than any other ETL tool?

Post by shiv_nm »

Hi,

I have a Peculiar quetion here to ask all of you.

Can any body tell me how DS is good when compared to any other ETL tools like Informatica or SUNOPSIS?

Can any body answer to me in detail?

Regards
Shiv
sanjay
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: How DS is Better than any other ETL tool?

Post by sanjay »

Both informatica and datastage has same features both are very good . but cost wise datastage is less compared to informatica

Sanjay
shiv_nm wrote:Hi,

I have a Peculiar quetion here to ask all of you.

Can any body tell me how DS is good when compared to any other ETL tools like Informatica or SUNOPSIS?

Can any body answer to me in detail?

Regards
Shiv
JDionne
Participant

Post by JDionne »

The fact of the mater is both tools do the same job in two different ways. The right tool all depends on the skill level and aptitude of your designers and the nature of the work that you have at hand. Cost and total cost of ownership also play a role depending on which side of the bussiness you are in. My recomendations would be to get time from each vender and there presales technicians. Let them come in and do a trial against your current systems. Give them the same problem and see wich one solves it the easiest for you and your group to understand. After a fair evaluation you should be able to find the right tool for your group.
Jim
Sure I need help....But who dosent?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

For me the biggest factor is the oft-neglected facet of total cost of ownership "ease of maintenance".
I believe that DataStage's graphical design metaphor offers the most easily maintained mechanism in the market.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I think the DataStage v Informatica debate will be around for a long time, which is good news for customers as the fierce competition will push down prices and continue to produce rapid product development. Most projects will work with either product as long as they have expert resources available.

I've seen Informatica have more success in Data Warehousing as there is a perception it has better out of the box DW support. DataStage seems to do better in other areas such as conversions, migrations and data quality.

Ascential are bridging the DW gap through training, restartable sequence jobs and intelligent assistants. There is also a release due in the first half of next year that finally integrates the Ascential suite propertly, with a common interface and full metadata sharing.
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Hi

Been worked with Both Informatica and Datastage I had found Datastage much better than Informatica. Its very easy to implement, easy to use, easy to maintain.

Datastage has its powerful BASIC where you can do your most of your complex work.

It many advantages when compared to other ETL tools

Thanks
Siva
shiv_nm
Participant

Need more info

Post by shiv_nm »

Thanks for the info, but does any body worked on SUNOPSIS tool here? can anybody tell me what is the difference between SUNOPSIS and DS?

Can any body give me Architecture of DS?

Regards
Shiv

rasi wrote:Hi

Been worked with Both Informatica and Datastage I had found Datastage much better than Informatica. Its very easy to implement, easy to use, easy to maintain.

Datastage has its powerful BASIC where you can do your most of your complex work.

It many advantages when compared to other ETL tools

Thanks
Siva
shiv_nm
Participant

Post by shiv_nm »

Thanks for the info, but does any body worked on SUNOPSIS tool here? can anybody tell me what is the difference between SUNOPSIS and DS?

Regards
Shiv
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

For more DataStage information go to http://www.ascential.com/litlib/ and download the "Ascential DataStage Product Family Architecture Overview".

The main difference between the products is that Sunopsis runs on existing RDBMS engines by generating SQL code. DataStage runs on a dedicated ETL server. You'll need to decide which is a better fit for you. I would expect DataStage to have more features and functionality.
penguin
Participant

Post by penguin »

This may be heresy - but what analysis tool are your end users likely to use? I recently went to a presentation of Business Objects Data Integrator (formerly Acta) which appeared to have strong integration with Business Objects for building universes (metadata gathered in the ETL process could be used to help build them I think) and otherwise very similar functionality to DS for general ETL, right down to the graphical interface.

If you are also looking to purchase a reporting tool this end-to-end option may be worth investigating - the guy demonstrating it was from Unilever and claimed they were using this product, even remotely via Citrix, to support and develop their worldwide BI solutions.

As an earlier respondent suggested - nothing beats getting a suitable shortlist together and giving all the vendors the same problem to tackle...
JDionne
Participant

Post by JDionne »

penguin wrote:This may be heresy - but what analysis tool are your end users likely to use? I recently went to a presentation of Business Objects Data Integrator (formerly Acta) which appeared to have strong integration with Business Objects for building universes (metadata gathered in the ETL process could be used to help build them I think) and otherwise very similar functionality to DS for general ETL, right down to the graphical interface.

If you are also looking to purchase a reporting tool this end-to-end option may be worth investigating - the guy demonstrating it was from Unilever and claimed they were using this product, even remotely via Citrix, to support and develop their worldwide BI solutions.

As an earlier respondent suggested - nothing beats getting a suitable shortlist together and giving all the vendors the same problem to tackle...
Every tool has its shortcomings. BO has tried to run the entire gountlet from end to end and you will find that they did 80% of it. The question is "Is the 80% enough for you". Again the only way to know is put them head to head and see what they can do.
Jim
Sure I need help....But who dosent?