Migrating from Oracle 8 to Oracle 9i

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

iamrajy
Participant

Migrating from Oracle 8 to Oracle 9i

Post by iamrajy »

We are migrating from Oracle 8i to Oracle 9i database. And we are using lot of ORAOCI8 stage . Is ORAOCI8 stage will working fine when we we migrate to Oracle 9i or we have to change the stage to ORAOCI9?

Thanks in advance.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

While you could continue to use the OCI8 stage to talk to Oracle 9i, you would need to leave a copy of the 8i client on the server and continue to point to it via your dsenv file.

In the long run, you are much better off transitioning to the OCI9 stage. When you migrate, you'll need to update dsenv to point to the new Oracle Home and then migrate all of your jobs to use the new stage. Luckily, there is a Utility on your DataStage CDROM that will do this in all jobs for you automagically. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Anyone use the conversion script for turning 8i plugins into 9i? I'm about to help a customer and we were going to use it to hammer out about 500 jobs. Any glitches or gotchas?
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Hmm... don't recall any posts mentioning any. :? There was at least one person who posted that they had used it and everything went just fine, from what I recall.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

If you're talking about the OCI8To9.b tool that Ascential distributes, I've used it a couple of times. It worked fine with no problems.

Tony
flashgordon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Kudos for oci8to9

Post by flashgordon »

Hi,
I 2nd Tony's motion.
We used oci8to9.b on several hundred jobs and it worked very well. The gui is a little wierd when you run it out of admin. If you are converting a lot of jobs you know it's done when its buttons light up again. You have the instructions on how to install it, right? It is also not formally supported by Ascential but it worked very well. You don't have to be dsadm to run it. Any developer can run it.

... Flash
Flash Gordon
Hyperborean Software Solution