Logon problem with DataStage 7.x and Windows 2000

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

aminutello
Participant

Logon problem with DataStage 7.x and Windows 2000

Post by aminutello »

Hi, i have installed both client and server on a Windows 2000 Professional using the Administrator account. Now i'm trying connect to the project created during the installation but i receive this message: "Failed to connect to host: 127.0.0.1, project: UV
(The host name specified is not valid, or the host is not responding (81011))". I tried 'localhost' insted of the ip address, using 'Omit' instead of keying in user and pw but results never change. The Administrator user has no password. The event log reports no messages and all services are running.Is there any problem with this configuration?

Thanks.

Andrea
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
assuming your installation was ok.
do you by any chance have a firewall?
if so try disabling it and connect to check if this is the cause.
(you might need to stop and restart the DS services after disabling the firewall.)

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
aminutello
Participant

Post by aminutello »

No, there is no firewall because both server and client are on the same machine... :cry:
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi,

I have experienced the same problem on Windows 2000 and what I did was to create a user named DSADM and give him administrator priveleges.

I think I set Password change on next logon. Rebooted the pc changed the password. I clicked on Datastage client tools set the host to be localhost or 127.0.0.1 used DSADM as the user,provided the password, selected the project and logged in. Still not sure whether I used the omit option. But Iam very much sure that I used DSADM and it worked.

All the best.

--Rich

He who humbles himself will be exalted and he who exalts himself will be humbled
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage (Administrator client especially) does not like empty password.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
aminutello
Participant

Post by aminutello »

Hi, thank you for your help. I followed your suggestions, created DSADM user (with password), logged on with this user, tried to logon into datastage designer (both using 'omit' and typing user and pw) at server 127.0.0.1 (also tried 'localhost') but problem is still here... :cry:

Do you know is there is any issue using .NET framework (version 1.1) supplied with Visual Studio 2003 insted of using the framework supplied with DataStage CDs?

I tried also to assign a pw to windows administrator user but nothing changed...

If i type user and pw in designer system seems to hang logging on but after some minutes it responds that couldn't be able to reach the host 127.0.0.1

Please help me! :oops:

Thank you!
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi,

Check the entry in hosts file in etc folder of Windows.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

There should be an entry for 127.0.0.1

All the best.

--Rich
aminutello
Participant

Post by aminutello »

Hi,
I checked the C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file and there is an entry for 127.0.0.1... :cry:

My PC isn't a member of any domain (it's out of lan), only in a workgroup. Could it be the problem?

Thank you!

Regards,

Andrea
ewartpm
Participant

Post by ewartpm »

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem since I reformated and reloaded Windows 2000 Professional onto my pc. The server (7.5) and Client both reside on the pc. I have tried HostName\User name, just user name, workgroup\User name etc.

I can log in with Omit selected, but I cannot specify the server name or localhost, I have to use a period (dot) as the server name and then all is well with the Omit option. However, the moment I use a user name and password I get the error. Services are running, everything is fine.

:evil: Has anyone managed to solve this problem. I see a lot of comments up to this point i.e. check services are running, put host name\user name in etc. Tried all that and now I'm nearly bald from pulling out my hair and my fist hurts from punching things...
ewartpm
Participant

Post by ewartpm »

[quote="ewartpm"]Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem since I reformated and reloaded Windows 2000 Professional onto my pc. The server (7.5) and Client both reside on the pc. I have tried HostName\User name, just user name, workgroup\User name etc.

I can log in with Omit selected, but I cannot specify the server name or localhost, I have to use a period (dot) as the server name and then all is well with the Omit option. However, the moment I use a user name and password I get the error. Services are running, everything is fine.

I finally got it working. I uninstalled the TCP/IP protocol and then re-installed it (under the Local Area Connection properties one can install and unistall network protocols, services etc).