Multiple DataStage Server instances on one Machine

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Athorne
Participant

Multiple DataStage Server instances on one Machine

Post by Athorne »

I couldn't find any information on this topic. Is it possible to install multiple instances of DataStage on a single Server? Each instance would maintain it's own Projects. Anyone have any information on this or know if it is possible?
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

It is not possible.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's been discussed before, I think most recently at ADN. :? It can be done, is a little on the painful side and would typically involve different versions of the server running at any one time.

The question would be why you are looking at doing this? If you state what it is you are trying to accomplish, folks here may be able to give you a "better way".
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

It is not possible for simultaneous server instances. You can toggle instances, which is difficult (to be kind) to manage.
Kenneth Bland

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Starting witn 7.x it is possible to run simultaneous server instances. You need to manipulate the "id" associated with them... whatever it is called. You know, the thing that defaults to "ade". That and the port for the dsrcpd daemon.
-craig

Athorne
Participant

Post by Athorne »

I started down this road because I wanted to segregate the projects by development phase. I found early on that it didn't buy us anything that the built in security can't already do. The reason for my question is because PeopleSoft claims in a training class they present that most of their clients are running multiple instances. I think the instructor is confused or using the wrong terminology, we can and do have multiple Project instances that are unique to each development stage.

My gripe to PeopleSoft is that they are always quick to give advice on how to do things, they just can't ever back it up with accurate documentation. I appreciate the responses, and its apparant that there are not benefits to doing things this way. I can change environment variables to point to different oracle homes by project if neeed, and I can customize the ODBC connection information by project also, so there really is no need to go this route. I just wanted to get some expert advice to backup my claim that PeopleSoft is mistaken.

Thanks,
Andy
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As you said, I'm sure that by "multiple instances" they either meant multiple projects and/or multiple servers.
-craig

kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

chulett wrote:Starting witn 7.x it is possible to run simultaneous server instances. You need to manipulate the "id" associated with them... whatever it is called. You know, the thing that defaults to "ade". That and the port for the dsrcpd daemon.
Technically yes, but, how are you going to attach to both instances from your PC client? Last I checked, there's only an IP or hostname capability, so which simultaneous instance are you picking when you connect? The answer is yes, you can have two instances operating, but none of the API's (dsjob, clients, etc) know how to contact anything other than the "normal" instance. Great, I've got another DS engine RPC running, but nothing can talk to to it.

Aaaarrghhh, this thread only needed a 1 word response: NO.
Kenneth Bland

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

kcbland wrote:Technically yes, but, how are you going to attach to both instances from your PC client?
That wasn't the question asked. :wink:
and then kcbland wrote: Aaaarrghhh, this thread only needed a 1 word response: NO.
Perhaps two words: Yes But.

Your teapot seems to be running at a rolling boil today, Ken. :lol:
-craig

kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

chulett wrote:
kcbland wrote:Technically yes, but, how are you going to attach to both instances from your PC client?
That wasn't the question asked. :wink:
:lol:

Okay, the question asked was akin to:

Can I put a screen door on a submarine?

And my reply was akin to:

Technically yes but you can't use it.
Kenneth Bland

kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

chulett wrote:Your teapot seems to be running at a rolling boil today, Ken. :lol:

Yes, :twisted: I'm on my annual fall diet and my tuna and rice lunch just doesn't compare to a chicken parmesan with fettucini alfredo and pasta fagioli lunch I like to enjoy.
Kenneth Bland

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Come to Australia (it's springtime!). :lol:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.