Testing User Name/Password in DS Administrator

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ewartpm
Participant

Testing User Name/Password in DS Administrator

Post by ewartpm »

I log into the Administrator module and go to a project's properties. Where one can 'Test' the user name/password to see if they can schedule jobs, I get the following error:

'ATTRIB' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks[/b]
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Most unusual! ATTRIB is a DOS command. Open up a CMD.EXE shell and type ATTRIB /? to find out more. It's usually located in

Code: Select all

%WINNT_ROOT%\System32\attrib.exe
Could it be that your PATH environment variable has been amended so that %WINNT_ROOT%\System32 isn't in it?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ewartpm
Participant

Post by ewartpm »

:idea: Thanks Ray...brilliant as usual!!

The %SystemRoot%\system32 portion of the path was somewhere in the middle of the PATH variable. I moved it to the beginning of the string and now all is well. :D
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Interesting. That... shouldn't have mattered. :? It still should have been able to find it.

Unless you've got something else called ATTRIB that it found in a directory before the system32 directory was looked in. Or there was something wrong with the syntax of that entry before you moved it, but that would have caused problems all over the place, I would think.

Still, good to see you got it fixed. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Certain products (particularly database products) have the annoying behaviour of inserting their executables directories at the beginning of PATH, presumably to maximize their performance at the expense of everything else. (Wouldn't you, in their place?)

It's always a good plan to review PATH (and the shared libraries environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH/SHLIB_PATH/LIBPATH) after any installation or upgrade.

It CAN make a difference, for example if the same name is used for different things.

The same is true for library load order when compiling; for example, UniVerse (and therefore DataStage) uses an idiosyncratic malloc(); it is vital that this is loaded ahead of the "real" malloc() function. Otherwise UniVerse/DataStage simply doesn't work. This is one of the gotchas of which anyone contemplating loading GCI functions needs to be aware.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ray.wurlod wrote:It CAN make a difference, for example if the same name is used for different things.
Yup, said that.

Didn't have a clue about the "idiosyncratic malloc" issue, will have to keep that in mind if I ever contemplate loading GCI functions. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers