How to transfer data from database which is in other languag

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Bilwakunj
Participant

How to transfer data from database which is in other languag

Post by Bilwakunj »

Hi,
I am very sorry for posting my query in the wrong place but I didn't get exactly where it shd be posted so I am posting it here.
I am querious to know what kind of care is taken in the following situation.
Say I have different databases in diff languages & I want to create a centarl repositry for that. What care is taken for handling diff. characters to mantain the consistency. Is there any special method of handling such data?

Thanks in advance. :o
ogmios
Participant

Re: How to transfer data from database which is in other lan

Post by ogmios »

Depends partly on the databases you're reading from and writing to. From where to where do you want to write and which charactersets are you using?

But first of all activate NLS on DataStage side.

Ogmios
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's not really about languages, it's about character sets.

With National Language Support (NLS) enabled, DataStage uses maps on all I/O to transform all incoming character sets into Unicode, and all outgoing data from Unicode into an external character sets.

This does not, and cannot, perform translation. You cannot source from Korean and output French.

If you need a common repository, about your only choice is to use a database that is Unicode enabled, and have DataStage output Unicode.

For more information about Unicode, visit their web site; for more information about DataStage NLS read the DataStage NLS manual (NLS.pdf, part of the standard set of manuals).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Bilwakunj
Participant

Re: How to transfer data from database which is in other lan

Post by Bilwakunj »

Hey guys thanks
Bilwakunj wrote:Hi,
I am very sorry for posting my query in the wrong place but I didn't get exactly where it shd be posted so I am posting it here.
I am querious to know what kind of care is taken in the following situation.
Say I have different databases in diff languages & I want to create a centarl repositry for that. What care is taken for handling diff. characters to mantain the consistency. Is there any special method of handling such data?

Thanks in advance. :o