Can You Make Available the etlarticlelist from DSX Site!

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

larryoceanview
Participant

Can You Make Available the etlarticlelist from DSX Site!

Post by larryoceanview »

Most of the stuff is unavailable :shock: at

http://www.datastagexchange.com/etlarticlelist.php

Can you direct me to the current location! :P

Thanks,
Larry
Editor

Post by Editor »

Larry,

When Ken first joined our forum, he offered a number things that he had authored at night and during weekends away from his family. It was his hope that since he did so on his 'off' hours, that he could share them with others after leaving Ascential. Since Ascential depended on Ken's writings as guidelines for classware and other Ascential owned IP, they asked and we granted, that this information be removed. We now only log the requests, in case we are ever able to either provide this to you, or suggest your interest back to Ascential. Either way, we do apologize this content is not available, be would be glad to post anyone else's widsom that doesn't have someone's confidential agreements impairing there abiltiy to share.

Hope this Helps.

Dennis
larryoceanview
Participant

Please Explain!

Post by larryoceanview »

I am particulary intrested in th Unix Survival Guide. Unix is open source this should be a violation of nothing.

There are no independent books on your product, I need a structured
cheap way of learning. You know Yukon 8) DTS (whatever name it becomes, who knows) is now a powerful ETL product that already has technical articles published and it is only in Beta 1.

Can you provide me a list of what is available gratis! :lol:

Thanks,

Larry
ogmios
Participant

Re: Please Explain!

Post by ogmios »

:o UNIX open source :D, tell that to HP and Sun.

Most firms make the mistake in this area of buying a very expensive tool and then not catering for a proper training for the developers. Although I would like Ascential to stop promoting hash files as "silver bullet" to everything in their classes (but that's another matter).

Anyway the UNIX survival guide you want was pretty minimalistic, as information hamster I probably still have a copy somewhere, mail me if you would still need it.

Best place to start is with the manuals that you get by installing the DataStage client and by playing around a bit creating your own tryout jobs.

In general DataStage is a weird, off-beat, antiquated tool but it kind of grows on you after a while. :wink:

Ogmios
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

The DataStage Server Unix Survival Guide I wrote is about an 8 page document that points out all of the touch points the Server product has in the unix environment. I wasn't trying to show proprietary information such as how the product is written, just simple things like how to identify job processes and such interacting in the environment.

I have a big issue regarding things ANYONE can simply observe by typing "ps -ef" being called "Intellectual Property". I basically wrote a document that says: "Hey, look at that" while a job is running. Commands like ipcs and ps and prstat and netstat and such are helpful when trying to determine what's going on with your job or installation. This issue will be resolved. :roll:
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
larryoceanview
Participant

open source

Post by larryoceanview »

oops. I actually meant linux.
lgharis
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by lgharis »

What is the status of making these things available?
Leroy Gharis

Dallas, TX
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

kcbland wrote:The DataStage Server Unix Survival Guide I wrote is about an 8 page document that points out all of the touch points the Server product has in the unix environment. I wasn't trying to show proprietary information such as how the product is written, just simple things like how to identify job processes and such interacting in the environment.

I have a big issue regarding things ANYONE can simply observe by typing "ps -ef" being called "Intellectual Property". I basically wrote a document that says: "Hey, look at that" while a job is running. Commands like ipcs and ps and prstat and netstat and such are helpful when trying to determine what's going on with your job or installation. This issue will be resolved. :roll:
Ascential also claim copyright on ANY screen shot of their product. Does this include screen shot of a ps listing that mentions dsapi_server? Not sure how well this claim would stand up in court.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Just because Ascential have a copyright on graphical elements of the DataStage product it doesn't mean you can't use it. "Fair Use" in the US Copyright Act outlines considerations where copyright material can be used without permission:

"the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit education purpose;
the nature of the copyrighted work;
the amount and substaintiability of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work."

The rules are quite blurry but I would an article with screen shots to be okay if they were nonprofit for education purposes, did not reduce the value of DataStage (eg. criticism or false information) and did not reproduce whole pieces of Ascential intellectual properties (ie Sections of Ascential training material or training jobs.)

A DataStage book with screen shots will definitely breach "fair use" as it reproduces a large portion of the product and is intended for commercial profit. In that case you need permission from Ascential before proceeding.

DevNet has a legal clause that "Unauthorized use of any Information is strictly prohibited." This seems to conflict with US copyright "fair use" laws. I broke Ascential's version of the copyright laws this week when I posted a copy of the paragraph about certification taken from devnet news. Lock me up and throw away the key.