Re-configuring the Reporting Tool?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

fridge
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re-configuring the Reporting Tool?

Post by fridge »

Hi folks.

I have been using DS for a couple of months and have only just discovered the Reporting Assistant tool and the corresponding Access DB in the client directory.

I am interested in the possibilty of moving this access DB to a shared drive. Besides copying the access DB to the relevant directory I assume I will need to configure the target schema DSN 'DSReporting' (the option at the moment which passes the data to the access DB in my client directory) to point to the right place. Will there be a file called 'DSReporting' existing somewhere in /DataStageApp/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/..... ?

Please note my intention is not to amend anything as yet. I just want to know what would be involved and what any unforseen implication may be.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I would not change your DSN. Just update the local one and archive onto a shared drive. I have macros which will truncate all the tables and then I compact and repair it. Next I populate it with a new project or the same project with new data. If you keep these access files small they performa better. Then I copy it and name it something like doc_tool_project_yyyymmdd.mdb.
Mamu Kim
fridge
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by fridge »

Thanks for the help Kim.

Is there anyway to schedule/automate the loading of the access database?
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Not that I know of, maybe Ray knows.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Unfortunately the answer is (definitely) no.

Further, the readme for 7.1 (or 7.5, not 100% sure) states that there will be no further development of the Documentation Tool (so we'll never see it picking up Job Sequences, for example); Ascential want you to buy MetaStage to generate the same reports.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
fridge
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by fridge »

Thanks very much for the information Kim and Ray.