DataStage for dummies

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

EJRoufs
Participant

DataStage for dummies

Post by EJRoufs »

I have been using DataStage for a while now, but our usage is not super "advanced". I'd love to take the advanced DataStage course, but who knows when (or even if) that will ever happen. In the meantime, is there a good book that i could use for some self-training? Something like "DataStage for Dummies"? :>
Eric
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

Ray may know of such a book, but I do not believe one exists. There are many avenues for you to get such training other than class and this forum and the ADN are good places to start. Also, there are tutorials that accompany the product and I believe there are even more advanced tutorials, but I'm not sure where you might get these. You could always try new things in DS and when you come up against a wall you could always come here and ask questions.

Regards,
EJRoufs
Participant

Post by EJRoufs »

mhester wrote:You could always try new things in DS and when you come up against a wall you could always come here and ask questions.

Yep, that is EXACTLY what i am currently doing. It seems to work just fine, as long as i don't annoy too many people with too many "simple" questions, or my lack of understanding. :>
Eric
ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

Try to stay away from the "advanced stuff".

In the GUI jobs I most of the times only use seqential file stages, OCI, ODBC, DB2 stage, a tranformer and that's it.

For the scheduling josb and the more difficult things I use BASIC jobs.

The less "moving parts", the less can break.

Ogmios
Jamesvanam
Participant

Post by Jamesvanam »

Same here Eric,
I'm kinda new to DataStage, I so wanted a book which gives you a whole gist of DataStage, but nah I realised its not possible to wrap in one book, and started studying the Doc's of DataStage which ofcourse do take a hell lot of time, if you don't know where to start. anyway I started asking questions in this forum, and people are nice, they help you and its instant, you can count on them, even I do ask simple questions. but most of the time I just go through the forum and find most of the stuff I need.
Good Luck Eric.
Regards
James
mleroux
Participant

Post by mleroux »

If such a book doesn't exist, why not write one? :P Perhaps one could start an outsourced "Ascential Press" off with a title for beginners and later cover other Ascential products, too. Or, instead of a book for beginners only, get a bunch of contributing authors together (since there are already so many here!) and compile a title with very comprehensive content, something like The Ultimate DataStage Reference and grow it with a regular annual edition. Hey, maybe the 'elite' here at DSXchange are already secretly busy with something like that.

Or not.
Morney le Roux

There are only 10 kinds of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Much of such a book has been written. Ascential placed too many legal obstacles in the path of its publication. :cry:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
EJRoufs
Participant

Post by EJRoufs »

ogmios wrote:Try to stay away from the "advanced stuff".

In the GUI jobs I most of the times only use seqential file stages, OCI, ODBC, DB2 stage, a tranformer and that's it.

For the scheduling josb and the more difficult things I use BASIC jobs.

The less "moving parts", the less can break.

Ogmios

Hey, i totally agree! Heck, i just used a Stage Variable for the first time, and i've been using DataStage for 2 years! :> (That's probably kind of sad, huh?)
Eric
EJRoufs
Participant

Post by EJRoufs »

ray.wurlod wrote:Much of such a book has been written. Ascential placed too many legal obstacles in the path of its publication. :cry:

Ascential is against having a book like this out there? Or just your standard "bureaucracy" getting in the way?

Maybe if it was released "anonymously", no one could stop it? :>
Eric
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Maybe not stop it, but litigate all the profit away (and then some).

Only lawyers get rich. And savvy bookmakers.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.