Learning Basic Programming

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

anitha_casturi
Participant

Learning Basic Programming

Post by anitha_casturi »

Can anyone suggest a good site/PDF/Study Material where one can learn Basic Programming and also one which helps in querying the Universe??
The one which comes with Datastage installation does not help much.
him121
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by him121 »

there is pdf book available..in datastage online manual for Basic programming....

else for Universe..Query ....i also want some tips on that..

and some thing on..Datastage Administrator Command..
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Ascential have on the books, but not scheduled, a class called Programming with DataStage BASIC. It can be offered on demand, as far as I know. It was most recently revised for version 4.x, but the language hasn't changed that much.

UniVerse manuals can be downloaded for no charge from IBM website - you should start with UniVerse System Description, then UniVerse SQL Reference and UniVerse Guide to RetrieVe (SQL and RetrieVe are the two query languages).

Beware that DataStage and UniVerse are no longer identical, but there is a better than 95% overlap still.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
anitha_casturi
Participant

Post by anitha_casturi »

him121 wrote:there is pdf book available..in datastage online manual for Basic programming....

else for Universe..Query ....i also want some tips on that..

and some thing on..Datastage Administrator Command..
PDF available in Datastage online manual for BASIC programming does not help much. It does not deal with the basics of the basic programming.
anitha_casturi
Participant

Post by anitha_casturi »

ray.wurlod wrote:Ascential have on the books, but not scheduled, a class called Programming with DataStage BASIC. It can be offered on demand, as far as I know. It was most recently revised for version 4.x, but the language hasn't changed that much.

UniVerse manuals can be downloaded for no charge from IBM website - you should start with UniVerse System Description, then UniVerse SQL Reference and UniVerse Guide to RetrieVe (SQL and RetrieVe are the two query languages).

Beware that DataStage and UniVerse are no longer identical, but there is a better than 95% overlap still.
I shall check it out.

Anyways Thank you
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

At a pinch you could enrol on IBM's UniVerse Database Programming class; however only about 60% of that is relevant to DataStage, the remainder dealing with terminal I/O and other user interactions.
But it is scheduled more regularly than Ascential's.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.