Cannot access Job and Routine Activity stages' properties

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mleroux
Participant

Cannot access Job and Routine Activity stages' properties

Post by mleroux »

When I double-click or right-click/properties either a Job Activity or Routine Activity stage, nothing happens. I can access the properties pages for seemingly all other job/sequence stages.

Could it be a Windows DLL that's missing, containing some controls that are used in the Properties forms of these stages? If so, which DLL/OCX/whatever and how can it be rectified?

I've tried re-installing the client, but that didn't solve it. I run both 7.0 and 7.5 on my notebook with Multi-client Manager, and this occurs on both versions of the client.

The OS is Windows XP, but it works on other same-version-of-XP machines.
Morney le Roux

There are only 10 kinds of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I recently saw a similar problem where it took nearly five minutes to open a Job Activity in a Job Sequence.

Systematic diagnosis, using server-side tracing, showed that most of this time was taken up with building the drop-down list of job names in the Job Activity, and there was a large number of jobs in the project.

So maybe it's not that nothing is happening, maybe it's that you gave up waiting too soon. Do you have a large number of jobs in your project?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mleroux
Participant

Post by mleroux »

There are quite a few jobs, yes, but I don't think that's it because another machine with Designer on it opens the properties quickly and OK, and that's a much older machine than the one with the problem (a 3GHz+ P4). The DS Server is a mean UNIX machine, too.

I suppose a re-install of Windows XP would solve it but I really don't want to do that.

Anything else?
Morney le Roux

There are only 10 kinds of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
mleroux
Participant

Post by mleroux »

Just a little extra info. When one double-clicks or right-click/properties either a Job Activity or Routine Activity stage, the following happens:

The hourglass 'wait' cursor pops up for a few milliseconds or so.

The stage is selected, with a resize box around it and the cursor is the four-way-arrow 'move object' cursor, exactly the same as when one single-clicks (selects) the stage.

No error messages, no illegal operations.
Morney le Roux

mleroux
Participant

Post by mleroux »

It turns out that this is caused by Windows XP Service pack 2. I uninstalled it, and then it worked fine. Re-installed XP SP 2, and the problem was back. :x

Is anybody else using XP SP 2 with DS 7.0 or 7.5? If so, is it possible to access Job Activity or Routine Activity stages in a job sequence?

Even better yet, any known fixes?
Morney le Roux

bashbal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bashbal »

mleroux wrote:Just a little extra info. When one double-clicks or right-click/properties either a Job Activity or Routine Activity stage, the following happens:

The hourglass 'wait' cursor pops up for a few milliseconds or so.

The stage is selected, with a resize box around it and the cursor is the four-way-arrow 'move object' cursor, exactly the same as when one single-clicks (selects) the stage.

No error messages, no illegal operations.
I am having identical problems as above.
I was hoping there was a solution, but apparently not. Looks like I'll be uninstalling SP2. :cry:
dzenzano
Participant

Post by dzenzano »

I hope they have a fix soon... Windows XP SP2 is going to become the standard XP base very soon... Most of our clients already have upgraded for the simplicity of having all the security fixes in one large Service Pack...
jzparad
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by jzparad »

It turns out that this is caused by Windows XP Service pack 2. I uninstalled it, and then it worked fine. Re-installed XP SP 2, and the problem was back.

Is anybody else using XP SP 2 with DS 7.0 or 7.5? If so, is it possible to access Job Activity or Routine Activity stages in a job sequence?

Even better yet, any known fixes?

I just installed 7.5 and have the same problem.

Has anyone heard whether Ascential has responded to this problem?
Jim Paradies
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There is a patch available for the problem from what I understand. Haven't had a need to go hunt it down myself, however. Check Ascential's eServices site or perhaps ADN.

Edit: just double-checked and the client patch *is* available as a downloadable Software Update on the eServices website. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jzparad
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by jzparad »

There is a patch available for the problem from what I understand. Haven't had a need to go hunt it down myself, however. Check Ascential's eServices site or perhaps ADN.

Edit: just double-checked and the client patch *is* available as a downloadable Software Update on the eServices website.

Thanks Craig.
Jim Paradies
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

I do not believe the patch Craig speaks of will fix this problem. The scope of the patch does not include this problem. I donwloaded the patch and it did nothing to fix the existing problem.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well, that's a bummer. :? That was the only SP2-related patch that I was aware of. Have either of you reported it to Ascential support? Is it yet-another-known-issue with SP2?
-craig

mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

Actually this is not a patch, but is a document outlining the steps to configure the Windows firewall if you are using XP as a server. I followed the steps in the document since I have the server and client on my XP machine and it still did not work.
dzenzano
Participant

There is a working patch

Post by dzenzano »

There is a patch on the e-services site that I downloaded. It contains a batch file and replaces one or two .dll files. This fixed the problem for my clients running Windows XP SP2.

http://www.ascential.com/service/produc ... _xpsp2.zip

Let me know if you still have trouble finding the patch and I will post instructions on how to find it or I'll just host it on a website somewhere for download if it's permitted by Ascential...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Actually, there is a patch. :wink: The document you mentioned has been available for awhile, while the patch is fairly new.

As I said, check the Software Updates / Downloads section of the eServices site after you log in. It's called dsclient_xpsp2.zip.
-craig