DataStage Upgrade from 5.1 to 7.5

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Oli
Participant

DataStage Upgrade from 5.1 to 7.5

Post by Oli »

Hi

I am planning an upgrade from DS 5.1 to 7.5 in a Solaris Environment. I wanted to hear if somebody out there had done a similar upgrade and if there were any issues/pitfalls with doing such an upgrade (that is not covered in the upgrade guidlines from Ascential)

Best Regards
Oli, 3 Sweden
lebos
Participant

Post by lebos »

Oli, we just finished and upgrade from 5.2 to 7.1 on IBM AIX systems. The only problem we have had is with server jobs that contain several independent streams. Like multiple input stage/transform/output stage things that probably should have been written as separate jobs anyway.

Larry
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

In general, upgrades are extremely painless affairs. Unfortunately, from what I recall, the times I've seen people reporting issues here seem to have been when people running on Solaris. :?

Hopefully, someone on your same O/S who's done a recent upgrade will chime in.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
flashgordon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by flashgordon »

Hi,

I am familiar with an experience of moving from 5.2 to 7.1 with an attempt to go to 7.5 over the last few months. We Upgraded (real DS Upgrade, not a fresh install) from 5.2 to 7.1 and there were a few minor differences like Teradata defaults but that was generally successful. With Parallel Extender we tried go to 7.5. I wasn't that close to it but there was something that was serious enough with the Oracle 9 interface and Parallel extender that we backed down to Parallel Extender with Oracle 9 on DS 7.1. So if you're using Parallel Extender and Oracle 9 I would ask Ascential Support about the Oracle 9 interface on 7.5 Enterprise Edition. O.S. was HPUX 11.11 on Unix Datastage server.
Flash Gordon
Hyperborean Software Solution