Winows DS Server Pointing at Oracle DB

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

flashgordon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Winows DS Server Pointing at Oracle DB

Post by flashgordon »

Hi,

How do you point a Windows 7.5 DS Server at an Oracle database if you have the Oracle Client installed on Windows server with DS Server installed? In Unix you put:

ORACLE_HOME=/c07/xxx/oracle/product/9.2.0;

in dsenv to point to the Oracle client.

but where is dsenv or equivalent in Unix.

Thanks. ... Tom
Flash Gordon
Hyperborean Software Solution
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In the DataStage Administrator client you can set up "user defined environment variables" and create ORACLE_HOME (and any others that you may require, such as ORACLE_LIB, ORACLE_BIN, ORACLE_SID and so on, and any additions to PATH).

You can alternatively go to Control Panel, System and set environment variables within that applet. You need to reboot for them to take effect.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
flashgordon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by flashgordon »

Ray,

Thanks. Yes that makes sense and I remember seeing the environment variables in Windows. I just thought they needed to be more directly associated with DataStage and I could see no place in the Admin where I could do that.

... Tom
Flash Gordon
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Open the project properties. On the General tab there is a command button labelled Environment... This is where you need to be. New environment variables must be added as "user defined"; however PATH is in the General category. Make sure you include anything that's already in PATH when setting its new value.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
flashgordon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by flashgordon »

Ray,

Thanks for the tip. I tried it today and the results were tremendous. I defined ORACLE_HOME and SHLIB_PATH at the highest Windows level. Wasn't sure I needed it but I figure SHLIB_PATH didn't hurt anything. The interface worked! I got OCI9 working. It was fussy about user defined queries for some reason. I have NLS on my XP Pro DS server and the DB is straight US English. But when I let it generate the queries it read the database fine. I then got DRS to work. DRS doesn't work on our big Unix Datastage server 7.1 or 7.5 but it worked on my XP Pro DS 7.5 copy. So thanks. That was definitely the ticket.

... Tom
Flash Gordon