Weird DS problem - Interface doesn't open up...

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Xanadu
Participant

Weird DS problem - Interface doesn't open up...

Post by Xanadu »

Hello..
Now I have a really weird DS interface problem.
If I login into DS Designer the main GUI interface doesn't showup but I see only the "new" window popup (the window that allows you to create New server job,sequence etc..)..if I try to open an existing sequence/job the system just stays there but doesn't do anything..I rebooted the machine but same thing..
infact I just re-installed the client but still the same problem.
I log into the server through my colleague's computer and it works fine. I am sure its something with my client software on my laptop but i reinstalled it but problem persists..
any ideas ? :-S

Am I missing somethg here ?
Thanks
-Xan
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Can you start the DataStage Manager? Does it load quickly? Can you start the Designer from the Manager with a job selected? When you reinstall does your Start menu point to the latest version of the software or is it pointing at an old version that wasn't fully uninstalled? Are you using 7.0 or the more stable 7.0.1, 7.1, 7.5?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Any chance you are running XP and installed Service Pack 2?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Xanadu
Participant

Post by Xanadu »

Thanks VMC and Chulett..
I had to go not to uninstall but also go into the registry and remove all references to Ascential then reinstall client software and then it works. Infact jsut to be on safe side i logged into server thru telnet and cleared all the locks and stuff..
Yeah, I run Windows XP with SP2 on my laptop.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Xanadu wrote:Yeah, I run Windows XP with SP2 on my laptop.
Several posts here and on DSN about SP2. Ascential has even posted something there to the effect that they encourage people to not install SP2 on a machine running their software at this time...
-craig

dzenzano
Participant

Post by dzenzano »

chulett wrote:
Xanadu wrote:Yeah, I run Windows XP with SP2 on my laptop.
Several posts here and on DSN about SP2. Ascential has even posted something there to the effect that they encourage people to not install SP2 on a machine running their software at this time...
What is DSN? Another forum?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Doh! :oops: I meant to type ADN, as in the Ascential Developer Net. Somehow, DSN came out instead.
-craig

dzenzano
Participant

Post by dzenzano »

chulett wrote:Doh! :oops: I meant to type ADN, as in the Ascential Developer Net. Somehow, DSN came out instead.
I did a search on the devnet and didn't find anything saying NOT to use SP2? A url would be handy, but I guess it's not really important since we know the answer... Don't use SP2 till a fix for the 7.1 client is out!

Thanks.
ferreirahe
Charter Member
Charter Member

DS Designer interface problem...

Post by ferreirahe »

Hi,

I just have a slightly different problem than yours.

When I start the Designer alone I the option Prompt for New does not appear and I am not allowed to create a new job from scratch and cannot interact with the GUI. I always have to invoke the Designer either from the Manager or from the Director.

The workaround I managed to implement was to select the Nothing Open Option and then I can create new jobs from scratch.

I had this problem before when accessing a DS server (this time in Windows) on a Virtual PC on my laptop. I thought it was because of the poor loopback connection but...it isn't.

I have no SP2 installed. This problem came up since I installed the client switcher between 6.x and 7.x (We have to different versions in dev and prod environments). Though it works fine, this is quite a nag...

Anyone come across this problem. Should I skim the registry?

Well, just had to get it out of my chest... :twisted: :D

Thanks & cheers,

Henrique