create uv account

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pegasus
Participant

create uv account

Post by pegasus »

I would like to know what are the steps in creating a new universe account that store its tables in my chosen directory, instaed of the default datastage projects directory. Also would I need to setup any user/password?
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

If you are in the directory where you want to setup an account then just type uv. The $DSHOME/bin should be a part of your PATH variable. This will prompt you do you want to create an account. An account consists of 4 files VOC, D_VOC, VOCLIB and D_VOCLIB. At the TCL prompt type CLEAN.ACCOUNT. This will automatically add VOC entries for all the hahs files in this directory. Do not delete anything when running CLEAN.ACCOUNT especially in a DataStage account.

A DataStage project is a special type of account. They have all the files needed to add or run jobs. Projects are setup through DataStage Administrator.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's probably easier to add another project, as this does all the work for you.

You do not have to set up a user/password; DataStage uses operating system authentication. You might want to use groups and DataStage roles (managed via the Administrator client) to limit who can do what in the new project.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pegasus
Participant

accesing other project localuv

Post by pegasus »

I just created a new project(proj2) in another directory. Now I need to create/view tables in that proj2 localuv from my working project, says proj1. Is that possible? Anyway to do that?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, there are three ways. Both are executed through the Administrator command window connected to proj2, or at the TCL prompt within the proj2 account.

SETFILE pathname pointername sets a pointer to the hashed file or Type 1/19 file in the other account. So, if you wanted to be able to see a hashed file called CODES and the pathname of proj1 is /data/proj1, then SETFILE /data/proj1/CODES CODES creates a pointer called CODES.

SET.FILE accountname filename sets a logical pointer to the file in the other account. So, for this style, you would use SET.FILE proj1 CODES

Finally, if the table in proj1 had been created with CREATE TABLE, then you can use the standard SQL method, referring to it as proj1.CODES. In this case you can use CREATE VIEW to create specific views against proj1.CODES.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.