FTP Stage: Error while trying open connection

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ThanhVu
Premium Member
Premium Member

FTP Stage: Error while trying open connection

Post by ThanhVu »

I am using a FTP stage in a job to send files to a UNIX remote server. The job fails intermittently. I set the Link Tracing Level to 4 to view the FTP messages. I found that after the FPT stage issued the password, the remote server sent back a long banner message containing all legal issues about using the system. This is a typical practice in many companies today. I also discovered that when the job failed, the FTP stage issued the next command (i.e. change directory) before the last word of the message is returned as clearly indicated in the log. In other words, the log displayed the message without the very last word and then the change directory command and then a few last characters of the last word. When the job ran successfully, the whole banner message is displayed in the log prior to the change directory command.

It seems to me that the FTP stage just sends command prematurely in the middle of the returned message. I could not find any setting for the FTP stage that could resolve this problem.

Any ideas, suggestions, thoughts, solutions greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Thanh
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Do it in a shell script. I never use the ftp stage. Too hard to debug. Stays connected longer.
Mamu Kim