Import not overwriting routines

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

johnno
Participant

Import not overwriting routines

Post by johnno »

As a result of another issue, we have found that when we import a .dsx into our production project (let's call it Proj C), new versions of routines do not overwrite the existing versions. The process we use to go from development to production is (we understand that this is not 'best practice' and are currently reviewing the process):

We develop in Proj A.
When we are happy with our work ( :shock: ), we promote these modules to Proj B for usertesting using Version Control - these are promoted as read only objects.
Once these modules have been successfully tested, we do an export from Proj B of executables only.
We finally do an import of these executables into Proj C.

We have noticed that this process does not replace the existing routines with the new version - to my knowledge we have not experienced a problem with the replacement of jobs/sequences; only routines. We are currently doing some more investigation, but I am not certain if this happens all the time or whether it is a 'now and then' thing - we have some routines that have supposedly been modified and promoted a number of times over the last few months, but still have the initial import date attached to them.

When we imported the specific .dsx that highlighted this problem last week, we were prompted as to whether we wanted to overwrite modules - to which we replied 'yes' on every occasion. We were only prompted a couple of times, not for all the modules in the .dsx that existed in the project.

Is there any reason why a new routine would not over-write an existing routine? (apart from when you are prompted with that very question and you say no)

To allow us to continue processing, we have created a new production project and imported all modules from Proj B - this has worked fine and everything seems to be working correctly. But obviously we need to; 1 - find out the reason behind the problem, and 2 - Build a better way of promoting modules between projects (Version Control was not considered an acceptable overall method by the organisation).

As per usual, any help is greatly appreciated.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Import not overwriting routines

Post by chulett »

johnno wrote:(Version Control was not considered an acceptable overall method by the organisation).
:shock:

Ok, let's see. Promoting to Test via Version Control works fine. Promoting to Production using exp/imp doesn't. Hmmm... :wink:

Use Version Control for the Production promotion as well. Continue to mark everything as 'Read Only'. Without the 'design time' information in Production, you are missing some vital information when it comes to trouble shooting those jobs, or just knowing for sure what the code looks like after the next version rolls into Test. Among other things.

Out of curiosity, what made it 'unacceptable'?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
johnno
Participant

Post by johnno »

Craig,

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you totally re the design time issue. The number of times we have needed to look at things that would have been very easy in designer - well, I'd best not start. Unfortunately, two people were thrown in to design and build a new system from scratch after going on the basics and advanced courses! (I note several different threads I have read in this forum re this approach!!!) Oh well, I suppose I have learnt a few things the hard way.

We now have much more experienced people on board (if only for a limited period) and it will be these who will be looking at how we do this sort of thing in the future.

With regards as to why Version Control was deemed 'unacceptable', from what I know I think it was to do with taking on Visual SourceSafe as an organisational standard and if we also used Version Control we would have two repsoitories with the added overhead of training all the necessary people how to use it (gee, about 5 people if everyone that ever wanted to use it was catered for, and that would take oh so long!). Anyway, you get the general idea - hopefully all this will be addressed in the near future, even if we have to upset people by using Version Control!

Back to the original issue though (sorry, shouldn't use this forum for a rant), do you have any idea why we are having this problem?

Cheers John
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Unfortunately, no. I haven't promoted things via export/import or via the dreaded Packaging Wizard since VC came on the scene in 4.x. :cry: Hopefully, someone will pop in with some words of wisdom.

Your other option would be to call Ascential Support and see what they have to say.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers